How many people hear actually use a printer at home in 2018 .. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default How many people hear actually use a printer at home in 2018 ..

I have been bugged by this question for a while because in 2018 with the availability to share information I was curious how many people still use a printer at home.

I personally only ask because I have never has a use for one. I wouldn't mind going out a buying something of a good standard or speck or but what I would use it for, I don’t know.

A printer = you print things but at home and in the real world and a practical environment such as a family set-up what would people use one for in 2018.

If I want to provide proof of a document the I use E Mail or something similar.

Just curious that’s all because I don’t really know what the majority of people would use one for in 2018 with the various connectivity available.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Default Re: How many people hear actually use a printer at home in 2018 ..

I have a Brother monochrome laser printer that gets used about once a week. I try to print as little as possible but still need to print on occasion. I can't remember when I last had to buy paper.

Technically, I really have 2 printers but the 2nd is a 3D printer so it's in an entirely different class.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even though we pay almost all of our bills online we still will print out the receipt for our records. My wife is constantly doing things for church and prints it out. My mother-in-law has to print a lot of things for her brother. Plus we need to scan things on occasion.

Basically our printer is used daily and sometimes several times a day.

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Rarely need to print, but when I do, I just do it at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Even though we pay almost all of our bills online we still will print out the receipt for our records. My wife is constantly doing things for church and prints it out. My mother-in-law has to print a lot of things for her brother. Plus we need to scan things on occasion.

Basically our printer is used daily and sometimes several times a day.
I save all of my receipts from online payments onto my server at home, and then those get backed up to my Google Drive account.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

I still use a printer at home, and since it's wireless it can stay out of the way until I need it. There are some things you need to print out and fill out. For instance my GFs divorce papers, work documentation I've needed to sign, school stuff for my kid, an NDA I've recently had to sign scan and send back. Not everybody needs one and honestly the one here is my roomies so if I didn't have one I'd probably take my stuff to a print shop instead of buying one. I rarely need to use it but when I do it comes in handy.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post

I save all of my receipts from online payments onto my server at home, and then those get backed up to my Google Drive account.
My wife is an accountant who has her own filing system. If she wants hardcopy, she gets hardcopy.

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Pst, Trotter, hardcopy is soooo last century!

On a serious note, I bought a Brother monochrome wireless laser printer earlier this year, just now running out of toner on the starter cartridge, after about 500ish+ prints. I tend to print manuals and the such out, and when I do manuals, I set the printer so it prints both sides of the paper. So yeah, I kind of print a lot...

Oh, I also do my own taxes and print all my financial stuff every month, so that in it self consumes a lot. One thing I have learned is... When it comes to money, always keep a hard copy, because surely the government 20 years later will wonder why you didn't report that $1.00 you earned and pay the government $0.30 on that buck!

Yeah, my mother was audited by the IRS long ago, chosen randomly supposedly, but it was the year my father passed away, and they made things VERY ****ing difficult for us.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
Pst, Trotter, hardcopy is soooo last century!

On a serious note, I bought a Brother monochrome wireless laser printer earlier this year, just now running out of toner on the starter cartridge, after about 500ish+ prints. I tend to print manuals and the such out, and when I do manuals, I set the printer so it prints both sides of the paper. So yeah, I kind of print a lot...

Oh, I also do my own taxes and print all my financial stuff every month, so that in it self consumes a lot. One thing I have learned is... When it comes to money, always keep a hard copy, because surely the government 20 years later will wonder why you didn't report that $1.00 you earned and pay the government $0.30 on that buck!

Yeah, my mother was audited by the IRS long ago, chosen randomly supposedly, but it was the year my father passed away, and they made things VERY ****ing difficult for us.
Oh yea good point, printing out wiring diagrams or other such things when working on the car comes in handy too.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post

Same
Also you should look at Mayan EDMS.
Self hosted and open source, allows tagging, does searchable OCR, indexing, etc. It's REALLY good.

I scanned in all my documents, receipts, etc to it and use that for paper records primarily nowadays. I keep a paper backup, but this is my goto for finding something I need (OCR search is the best thing ever)

iFargle.com
7700k • 32GB RAM • 512GB 960 Pro • GTX 1080 • NCase M1
15" Retina MBP || 128GB OnePlus 6 || 64GB iPad Air 2
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam: iFargle

"Because we are the pioneers. The star sailors. The thinkers. The visionaries. The doers.
And because we stand on the shoulders of giants, to go farther than humanity has ever been,
we will add our names to the roles of the greatest adventurers in history."
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFargle View Post
Same
Also you should look at Mayan EDMS.
Self hosted and open source, allows tagging, does searchable OCR, indexing, etc. It's REALLY good.

I scanned in all my documents, receipts, etc to it and use that for paper records primarily nowadays. I keep a paper backup, but this is my goto for finding something I need (OCR search is the best thing ever)
Eeeeenteresting. My only gripe (after using it for 2 minutes) is that it's inconsistent so far (won't even preview a simple "test.txt" file), and the interface is sorta clunky. Gonna keep checking it out though as a replacement for our payables/invoicing system mb.

edit: slowly working it out still can't find how to ocr search, mb this docker demo just isn't up to the task

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote