How many people hear actually use a printer at home in 2018 ..

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I have been bugged by this question for a while because in 2018 with the availability to share information I was curious how many people still use a printer at home.

I personally only ask because I have never has a use for one. I wouldn't mind going out a buying something of a good standard or speck or but what I would use it for, I don't know.

A printer = you print things but at home and in the real world and a practical environment such as a family set-up what would people use one for in 2018.

If I want to provide proof of a document the I use E Mail or something similar.

Just curious that's all because I don't really know what the majority of people would use one for in 2018 with the various connectivity available.

I have a Brother monochrome laser printer that gets used about once a week. I try to print as little as possible but still need to print on occasion. I can't remember when I last had to buy paper.

Technically, I really have 2 printers but the 2nd is a 3D printer so it's in an entirely different class.

Even though we pay almost all of our bills online we still will print out the receipt for our records. My wife is constantly doing things for church and prints it out. My mother-in-law has to print a lot of things for her brother. Plus we need to scan things on occasion.

Basically our printer is used daily and sometimes several times a day.

Rarely need to print, but when I do, I just do it at work.

Even though we pay almost all of our bills online we still will print out the receipt for our records. My wife is constantly doing things for church and prints it out. My mother-in-law has to print a lot of things for her brother. Plus we need to scan things on occasion.

Basically our printer is used daily and sometimes several times a day.

I save all of my receipts from online payments onto my server at home, and then those get backed up to my Google Drive account.

I still use a printer at home, and since it's wireless it can stay out of the way until I need it. There are some things you need to print out and fill out. For instance my GFs divorce papers, work documentation I've needed to sign, school stuff for my kid, an NDA I've recently had to sign scan and send back. Not everybody needs one and honestly the one here is my roomies so if I didn't have one I'd probably take my stuff to a print shop instead of buying one. I rarely need to use it but when I do it comes in handy.

I save all of my receipts from online payments onto my server at home, and then those get backed up to my Google Drive account.

My wife is an accountant who has her own filing system. If she wants hardcopy, she gets hardcopy.

Pst, Trotter, hardcopy is soooo last century! :p

On a serious note, I bought a Brother monochrome wireless laser printer earlier this year, just now running out of toner on the starter cartridge, after about 500ish+ prints. I tend to print manuals and the such out, and when I do manuals, I set the printer so it prints both sides of the paper. So yeah, I kind of print a lot...

Oh, I also do my own taxes and print all my financial stuff every month, so that in it self consumes a lot. One thing I have learned is... When it comes to money, always keep a hard copy, because surely the government 20 years later will wonder why you didn't report that $1.00 you earned and pay the government $0.30 on that buck!

Yeah, my mother was audited by the IRS long ago, chosen randomly supposedly, but it was the year my father passed away, and they made things VERY ****ing difficult for us.

Pst, Trotter, hardcopy is soooo last century! :p

On a serious note, I bought a Brother monochrome wireless laser printer earlier this year, just now running out of toner on the starter cartridge, after about 500ish+ prints. I tend to print manuals and the such out, and when I do manuals, I set the printer so it prints both sides of the paper. So yeah, I kind of print a lot...

Oh, I also do my own taxes and print all my financial stuff every month, so that in it self consumes a lot. One thing I have learned is... When it comes to money, always keep a hard copy, because surely the government 20 years later will wonder why you didn't report that $1.00 you earned and pay the government $0.30 on that buck!

Yeah, my mother was audited by the IRS long ago, chosen randomly supposedly, but it was the year my father passed away, and they made things VERY ****ing difficult for us.
Oh yea good point, printing out wiring diagrams or other such things when working on the car comes in handy too.

Same :lol:
Also you should look at Mayan EDMS.
Self hosted and open source, allows tagging, does searchable OCR, indexing, etc. It's REALLY good.

I scanned in all my documents, receipts, etc to it and use that for paper records primarily nowadays. I keep a paper backup, but this is my goto for finding something I need (OCR search is the best thing ever)

Same :lol:
Also you should look at Mayan EDMS.
Self hosted and open source, allows tagging, does searchable OCR, indexing, etc. It's REALLY good.

I scanned in all my documents, receipts, etc to it and use that for paper records primarily nowadays. I keep a paper backup, but this is my goto for finding something I need (OCR search is the best thing ever)

Eeeeenteresting. My only gripe (after using it for 2 minutes) is that it's inconsistent so far (won't even preview a simple "test.txt" file), and the interface is sorta clunky. Gonna keep checking it out though as a replacement for our payables/invoicing system mb.

edit: slowly working it out :p still can't find how to ocr search, mb this docker demo just isn't up to the task

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom