How to lock your LCD monitor refresh rate? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Old 08-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default How to lock your LCD monitor refresh rate?

Hi all,

Firstly I have an Acer s231HL monitor, running W7 64bit home edition. I want to know if there is a way to lock your monitor's refresh rate to 50hz, as opposed to running at its default of 60hz. Most of us should know that while gaming the FPS won't exceed the monitors refresh rate. The reason why I want to lock my monitor to 50hz is because 50fps is easier to maintain then 60fps obviously, and almost just as smooth. Also I know that there are ways to limit the FPS in games such as nVidia Inspector, DxTory etc.. but using this method is not as good as locking your monitor to 50hz. If your monitor is set to 60hz and your limiting your FPS to 50, then 10 frames have to be dropped resulting in a horrible stutter/jerking. You don't get this stutter if you can run your game at 50hz as opposed to limiting it to 50fps.

Now, some games run fine when I set my monitor to 50hz, but other games (Crysis 1 & 2) override my monitors refresh rate and run at 60hz/fps. Also I've noticed that while in fullscreen mode my monitor is overridden, but in windowed mode its running at 50hz, which is what I want, but also want to play games in fullscreen mode.

Is there anyone else ever tried to do this, or know of a tool that can force/lock your monitor to certain refresh rates for WINDOWS 7??

XGLX1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: How to lock your LCD monitor refresh rate?

You'll find an option in the video card's drivers to change the refresh rate to just about anything you want.. In AMD CCC it's under Desktop Management -> Desktop Properties

2600k 16GB RAM 120GB SSD 4TB HDD GTX 1080
15" Retina MBP || 64GB Nexus 6P || 64GB iPad Air 2
Steel Band Huawei Watch || Sony RX100 IV Camera iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: How to lock your LCD monitor refresh rate?

Yep, I've tried that aswell, I have nVidia cards, but setting the refresh rate through here also doesn't make any difference.
XGLX1981 is offline   Reply With Quote