How to Install a dual fan PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeeme

Solid State Member
My question is: How do you install a dual fan PSU. Obviously one of the fans must point toward the outside of the box as the power connects to this.

My question is about the other fan. It seems that to install it correctly the second fan should face up...toward the ceiling of the box, but it makes more sense to me to point it downward as this will help suck heat out of the case.

So which is it? ... and does it matter if a PSU is installed upside down?

Thanks.

Usually dual fan PSU's have one fan at the back (with the switches and power cable) and another on the bottom. You want the bottom fan to be pointing down (logically, at the bottom when you put the PSU in the case). This usually pulls air up through the case, through the PSU and out the back.

If you installed it upside-down (bottom fan up) you wouldn't be doing any good, since it would be grabbing air from above your case (through a hole in the case) and then blow it out the back.

Yes, I know that it makes sense to install the fan downward, but then all the text printed on the back of the PSU is upside down - thus I assume that the PSU is upside.

All other PSU installs I have done have the text upright. Does anyone else have a suggestion to this confusion I'm having?

Sticker is slapped on wrong :p

Doesn't matter though dude, I've come across this question a few times and you simply just can't pay attention to the sticker. Although it's annoying that it's upside down, trust us in that the bottom fan intakes air and then the one on the back blows it out. Should be sucking hot air right off your CPU actually so it should help the entire system out a little which I think is generally the idea. Just adding another port for air to escape from the entire box.

Like I said though, don't worry about the sticker....unless you're really concerned then you could always cut a hole out the top of your case and put the PSU upside down so the sticker is the right way :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom