How good is the corsair value select ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont want to hijack but does anyone know of a link that explains all the numbers you posted up there about the ram? i dont understand timings and such.:eek:

Studies show that it really doesn't make much of a difference what your RAM timings are. You get slightly higher benchmarks (3dMark) with performance RAM, but as far as gameplay goes, you may have a 1 fps difference between performance RAM and value RAM, but thats all.

beedubaya said:
Studies show that it really doesn't make much of a difference what your RAM timings are. You get slightly higher benchmarks (3dMark) with performance RAM, but as far as gameplay goes, you may have a 1 fps difference between performance RAM and value RAM, but thats all.

Beedubaya is correct. The timings only affect the initial sending of the data, which gives literally around a 0.5% increase in speed. Overclocking the overall speed does make a noticeable difference, but making the timings faster does not.

Here is a thread discussing that very issue. The most important post from the thread is the following, posted by 'CrucialLabs':

"Just to give you all a quick run down on what CL really means in terms of speed and performance is .5% difference between CL-3 and CL-2.5, and that is only on the initial burst of information not on the whole transfer. I think too much emphasis is placed on Cas Latency which only effects less then 1% of the overall performance. So lower can be better but is it really that must better? No, just my opinion."

well value ram is still awesome ram for a cheap price. and i OC w/ it very well and i dont have a problem and i dont have heat spreaders at all. its just that ppl see value on it and think oh that shit has to suck or w/e and that is not true. i would prefer value ram cause if it frys then its cheap to replace.:p

Corsair value RAM is fine. nothing wrong with it. Im running it fine, though I havent tried OCing the RAM (and wont). Im looking to see if a deal opens up on patriot RAM for OCing though. Corsair value select is perfectly good if u dont want to overclock.

Thanks for all the replies:) I was thinking about doing some overclocking, but I'm not going for any records or anything, mostly just to mess around with things a bit. Will I be able to overclock at all? I'm probably going to be getting the 3200 venice when I can get one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom