How good is the corsair value select ram? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 09:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
I Rule You

Send a message via AIM to FadingTheory Send a message via Yahoo to FadingTheory

If your looking to overclock, your looking at the wrong class of value ram.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

dont want to hijack but does anyone know of a link that explains all the numbers you posted up there about the ram? i dont understand timings and such.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Studies show that it really doesn't make much of a difference what your RAM timings are. You get slightly higher benchmarks (3dMark) with performance RAM, but as far as gameplay goes, you may have a 1 fps difference between performance RAM and value RAM, but thats all.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

hmmm not that i dont believe you but thats seems kinda rediculous. does anyone else think the smae thing?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to GrimReaper23

Go to overclock and then go to the sticky called basics scrool down to where it says overclock your Ram and then It tells you.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by beedubaya
Studies show that it really doesn't make much of a difference what your RAM timings are. You get slightly higher benchmarks (3dMark) with performance RAM, but as far as gameplay goes, you may have a 1 fps difference between performance RAM and value RAM, but thats all.
Beedubaya is correct. The timings only affect the initial sending of the data, which gives literally around a 0.5% increase in speed. Overclocking the overall speed does make a noticeable difference, but making the timings faster does not.

Here is a thread discussing that very issue. The most important post from the thread is the following, posted by 'CrucialLabs':

"Just to give you all a quick run down on what CL really means in terms of speed and performance is .5% difference between CL-3 and CL-2.5, and that is only on the initial burst of information not on the whole transfer. I think too much emphasis is placed on Cas Latency which only effects less then 1% of the overall performance. So lower can be better but is it really that must better? No, just my opinion."
Old 04-24-2005, 03:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

well value ram is still awesome ram for a cheap price. and i OC w/ it very well and i dont have a problem and i dont have heat spreaders at all. its just that ppl see value on it and think oh that **** has to suck or w/e and that is not true. i would prefer value ram cause if it frys then its cheap to replace.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Techie

Corsair value RAM is fine. nothing wrong with it. Im running it fine, though I havent tried OCing the RAM (and wont). Im looking to see if a deal opens up on patriot RAM for OCing though. Corsair value select is perfectly good if u dont want to overclock.

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for all the replies I was thinking about doing some overclocking, but I'm not going for any records or anything, mostly just to mess around with things a bit. Will I be able to overclock at all? I'm probably going to be getting the 3200 venice when I can get one
Old 04-24-2005, 10:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Build Guru

yes you can OC despite what these guys say. i have done it and my ram is running perfectly fine. ive also got the timings real tight as well.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread