How good is the C2D T5450???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I'm not familiar with this Intel rating system. I've been using AMD since the Pentium 4 era, and now i have no idea how what the letter in front of the number means. There's E, T, Q, L, etc. AMD is much simpler, a # and then +. Higher is better, simple as that.

So I'm going to ask this straight: how good is the T5450 processor? I found a notebook with this processor for $899. Comes with 3GB DDR2 and the GeForce 8600M GT.
There's another one for the same price, with a Turion X2 at 2.00GHz and the HD2600 graphics. I couldn't find benchmarks anywhere for the T5450 (1.66GHz). So if anyone could help me with that i would appreciate it.

The T5450 is a good processor. It beats the Turion you listed. The way Intel rates their processors is:

T = Mobile
E = Basic Desktop
X = Extreme Desktop
Q = Quad-Core

That's not too bad a price for that computer either so go for it.

so I'm guessing larger number is better right?

And are all core 2 duos the same architecture, that is, can you compare a T processor with another T by looking at the GHz?

Yes you can. With the mobile chips you can go by the speed in GHz. They all use a 667MHz Front Side Bus (FSB).

The Core 2 is an architecture so they are all the same. There are different families within the architecture. Merom and Penryn make up the mobile family while Conroe, Kentsfield and the new Wolfdale are a few of the desktop models.

The larger the number doesn't necessarily mean it's faster though. The E6300 and E4500 are both Conroe, but the E4500 has a faster clock speed. The difference is in their FSB speed. The E6300 is faster in that respect.

I agree compared to AMD, Intel's way is pretty confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom