How to fully restore the hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just format it, if that is what you are thinking... you could also boot into DOS, and type in "format c:" (without quotes)

Formatting in dos isn't such a great idea... if it formats into FAT16, which is what it probably will and should do, it limits the size of the partition to 2gb.

Is this a normal booting, windows drive, or is it a secondary drive? If you plan on putting windows on it, the bootable Windows CDs will format nicely for you.

I do not SEE it anywhere. I popped in the cd, and it shows no-where that "reformat" harddrive. Someone wanna clarify pleasE?

P.S. "fool proof", jee, thanks Chris. :rolleyes:

One way is to run a floppy boot disk. 98SE or later. Run fdisk and delete the existing partition. If dos select delete Primary dos partition or if NTFS delete non-dos partition. Then create a primary dos partiion and let dos verify the drive. Boot up your puter with the xp cd in the drive and go for it!!!!

Basically what you need to do is proceed with installing windows as normal. When it asks you to select a partition, select the one you need, (or delete all the partitions on the drive and then create one) and it will ask if you want to keep the filesystem intact, or format to FAT32 or NTFS. I reccamend NTFS, and not "quick". Then, it will continue on it's installation and you can sit back for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom