How easy is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ol i am gonna go get an anti-static band, but do I still need to actually plug the computer in... just not turn it on? Also for some reason the case (x dreamer II) didn't come with a powercord... i have one that i use with my guitar amps... is this one ok... are they all the same? I'm not sure where else it would be... i looked in the case and it isn't in there either. My last question is... is it ok to leave the motherboard out of the case while putting parts in? other wise it will be kinda hard. Thanks!

Usually I just wear a T-Shirt and as I am installing hardware my arms naturally touch the case.

I used to really worry about it, wearing anti-static wrist strap, but now I just throw it in - I don't recommend you do this, but I am just telling you that it really isn't easy to damage most components.

As long as you touch EVERYHING by the edges, you shouldn't have a problem.

Kangaroo said:
Usually I just wear a T-Shirt and as I am installing hardware my arms naturally touch the case.

I used to really worry about it, wearing anti-static wrist strap, but now I just throw it in - I don't recommend you do this, but I am just telling you that it really isn't easy to damage most components.

As long as you touch EVERYHING by the edges, you shouldn't have a problem.

Ok but I can just leave the motherboard.. say on the desk why i put parts in or should I put it in the case? And what about the power cord problem?

Ice9 said:
Ok but I can just leave the motherboard.. say on the desk why i put parts in or should I put it in the case? And what about the power cord problem?

???

just as long as no one touches your hardware while it's out. just to be on the safe side i wanted take it out till you have to...do mean by like puting the stuff on the board while it's out then puting it in with every thing on it? i have a line6 pod pro rack mount series and i think it has the same cord...you should be fine, but i would call and ask them why the hell it didn't come with one just to worry them lol.

with the band do you just clamp it on to some thing medal? will the band compeletly disable any static? or will static get to the case with out me touching it.

okay you connect the end of the static strap to the case, plug the power cord in (but dont turn it on) this gives a wire from ground, onto the metal case, and onto you. Do this and youll have 0 chance of damaging your parts through static.

Secondly, yes its fine to leave the mobo out while installing parts. I do it everytime. Once i have put the CPU, ram and AGP/PCI cards in, i punch out the slots in teh case where the expansions cards are going to go, and screw the mobo in. Its very hard to install things like a heatsink on a mobo INSIDE the case. By the way, be careful when installign the heatsink. Make sure you use a flat head screw driver and hook it in properly before you start pushing. dont wanna end up slipping and cracking you mobo :(

the easiest way is to just avoid carpet . . .

like i have an empty table in our den, so i just do all of our computer stuff on that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom