How does flash work - where are all the bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srynznfyra

Beta member
This is a question I've always wondered about flash memory: if (as I assume) each bit in every byte needs a transistor (or is it two transistors even?), how do you fit 8,000,000,000 bits (1GB) on a flash drive (let alone larger sizes)?

cheers

I think it's more sophisticated than that. I don't think it uses the same technology that early sub-1GB drives did.

Here is the catch. Dont trust Wikipedia for everything. As it isnt always right. Remember it is run and edited by the same people that come to this site and other such sites daily. So check and re-check the information with multiple sources before you take it as the end all truth.

Here is the catch. Dont trust Wikipedia for everything. As it isnt always right. Remember it is run and edited by the same people that come to this site and other such sites daily. So check and re-check the information with multiple sources before you take it as the end all truth.

I would do that if the information was required for an essay or something. Wikipedia is more than enough to solve the odd mystery that bugs me every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom