How do i have 2 hardrives and get them both to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok on my 40 gb Hard Drive im using Xp, but that dont matter

when i only have my 120 gb hard drive in, and i start my computer it says a File on Windows XP has been curropted, so it cant boot

then when i put in the windows 98 start up disk (just so i can get into dos)

and im in dos, i try to format the c drive, but it wont let me...

then i try to install ANOTHER version of windows, becuse it will automaticly delete whatever is on my hard drive it wont even get into set up, because it cant make a temp partition on the C drive to run it...

nope it does not, and yes It is NTFS, its ok, im taking it to my friend who runs a computer shop and he is going to re-format it for me

I tired adding another one of my older hard drives to see if i understood what you where talking about (how to add a new hard drive)

and ya it works, it is no mw local F Drive

thanks...

If you can tell me how i can re-format my 120 gb hard drive i would be even more thankfull tho LOl

is there any type of disk i could make or anything that could help me ?

nope, It wont even let me get into Windows XP cd, becuse it says it Cant be run in DOS mod

and when i try to make the 120gb drive my Slave drive, it does not even detect it, (and im running windows xp on my 40gb hd)

The only reason i would think it cant detect it, is A) the jumper is in the wrong place (cuz i took it totaly off) or B) becuse it is using an NFTS System and my 40gb HD is using a FAT32 system

well im out to sleep cuz its 3:17 am and im tired as HELL

if you think of any ways to help me, or howi could reformat... then just post them in here as you come up with them and i will get back to them tommorow morning

you could try putting the jumper back on cable select, then see if it detects it, see what the jumper of your 40 GB drive is set on
XP can't be run in DOS because it is designed to run on its own, and only emulate DOS - it makes it more stable, but I don't see why it tries to run it from DOS when it should be bootable on its own
if it does detect the new drive using cable select and boot up, you might be able to format it from there.

Dual boot system

Trax said:
the 120gb one had windows Xp on it ( that i installed), but then got a curropted file (i have no clue how) so thats why i switched back to the 40gb one

i assumed it would show up even if it had an error on it, so i can format it through My computer on Windows Xp, is that the problem.... (prolly is)

I can't tell you how,but is that what your trying to do ?
W? on the 40 and XP on the 120.
It can be done,anyone know the procedure at startup ?
Otherwise use your system disk and format it.Make sure you know the right drive letter when you type,
A: format ?
Or you might need fdisk first,then format.fdisk should recognize anything connected properly.

Trax i can tell you need a lot of help and that you are completely confused on this. if you want i can guide and help your troubleshoot your hard disk problem. tech-heaven has a forum called "live-chat room". either i can meet you in there or you can give me your instant messenger name on AIM, ICQ, YIM, MSN messenger, or whatever you use.

lol thanks for all the offers, but i got it working

i know have a 120 gb as my master and a 40gb as the slave

thanks for all the help, it wasent working becuse it was not fully formated, somthing curropted half way through

so i just re formated both drives to a NTFS system, set up the jumpers so the 120 is the master and 40 is the slave pluged em in and it works

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom