how do amd keep up with p4.. (whimpers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

salami1212

Baseband Member
um... well, i know this has been asked about a million times, but i looked and the specs for p4 3000 is 512kb L2 and 3000 mhz whereas athlon 3000+ is 512kb L2 cache and 2.167 mhz

how?

I sense a thread lock

Skinnier shorter pipelines, which means less instructions per cycle.

Exact same way the Pentium 3 and "Centrino" work

amd and intel have different clock cycles there is a thread that describes it in detail search it ull find it

Well.. this is essentially what you need to know:

Computer performance is measured in Instructions per second (IPS) and NOT cycles per second (in GHz) (CPS)...

A lot of people falsely think that CPS is the correct measure of the "power" of a CPU.. How are they related?

Instructions per second = Cycles per second x instructions per cycle

AMD has a smaller CPS than Intel for "equivivalent" CPUs. But this is 1/2 of the performance measure as u can see from the above equation. The "instructions per cycle" is HIGHER in AMD typically. This offsets the lower CPS.

If you don't understand what a "instructions per cycle" is, just do a search with that keyword for one of my old posts. I am sure I've described it before.

this isn't your first thread where you fail to search a much-talked about question. as others have alreayd explained, amd has shorter, slower pipelines which enable it to be as efficient as a pentium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom