How to copy from slave hard drive to master hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Sorry to sound thick but if the second hard-drive's attached to another cable where does the other end of that cable go? Can't seem to find another IDE port on the motherboard.

The location on the cable doesn't matter for slave or master as long as there are 2 devices on the cable. If your motherboard only has 1 IDE channel you should just connect both HD's to the cable. One of them should be slave and one of them should be master. This doesn't seem to work, so you should configure both HD's to "cable select" (CS,CSEL...), and put the drive with your operating system on the middle connector of the cable (for 80 conductor cable) and put it on the end connector (when using 40conductor cable). I would just try both and see if it boots.

The BIOS can be entered by DEL, F1 - F12 depending on your BIOS. The correct key should be displayed on your screen. Depending on your motherboard you can enable/disable all 4 or 2 possible IDE devices. Make sure they are all set to "auto" and make sure the primary boot device is HDD-0 or "C:". The HD configuration should be under "Standard CMOS blah blah" in your BIOS, and the boot sequence should be under "Advanced blah blah".

Hope this helps. I had a few beers so bare with me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom