How can one make a server from a normal computer. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

see im not goin to do this with this computer i plan on doin it witha old computer when i get my hands on one.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

so, let me get this strainght...all you need is windows xp? And the game installed? and if it's cs, dmc., hl all you need is to connect up with steam? and how do you do that? (Steam?) I'm already steam connected..but is there an addtional website to request becoming a server for those games? Thanks

Old 06-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to daappleby

at the bottom of your play games list there is an option called run dedicated server. You double click that and a server starts. I am not sure if you can set the options from there or not. If not then you will need to edit the config file manualy. Once you have the server configured give out the ip address to people and have them connect to it. Not difficult really.

Help us Help you:

1) <b>RTFM</b>
2) Search TF using <b>more than one</b> keyword or combination of words
3) Post specific details. We need your computer specs, your OS, and any details from the error messages you get.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I've never got the Source Dedicated Server to work online.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*

me too. Well let me ask this 2 day ago my frined made a server and i didnt know how to get in or find his server he made how do i find the servers he or i make for one of us to join the others server.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to daappleby

you need the ip address, then just go to your favorites in the game server browser click add by ip and then enter the ip address and port number (should look like 123.345.678.1:27015 if you don't get the port right it won't work).

When runinng a server you have to turn windows firewall off (XP) or port forward your router if you have one. There are tons of options that need to be set correctly in the config as well. I am sure you can find tutorials if you google it.

Help us Help you:

1) <b>RTFM</b>
2) Search TF using <b>more than one</b> keyword or combination of words
3) Post specific details. We need your computer specs, your OS, and any details from the error messages you get.
Closed Thread