how can i turn autocomplete off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramses1982

Baseband Member
You know when you type something into a field, windows will bring past entres that it could be. How can I turn that off? Also how can I erase the record of web sites that I've been too?

ramses1982,

For clearing or disabling autocomplete In you IE browser , Click Tools->Internet Options->Content->auto complete

You can clear your cookies and history from the internet options to erase the sites you have visited. Its better to get a 3rd party program to clear the Internet trails left in your windows machine.

The autocomplete can be pretty awsome, especially if you're busy and don't want to retype things, or forget some of the things you typed!

It can, though, get to be a pain when there's a long list of stuff (for example, the Google textbox gets filled up a lot 'cause I use it so much). It's easy to manage though. All you have to do is double-click on the blank text-box, and the list of past entries will drop down. Move your mouse over the first one (or whatever one you don't want) and hit the delete key. Bingo, the entry is gone from the memorized list. (You can also hold down your delete key, and IE will go through the whole list, deleting them all.

Of course, like intercodes stated, you can simply turn autocomplete off in the options.

As for FireFox vs IE (in this regard) I'd rather have the neat (and usually useful) option of autocomplete, and have the ability to turn it off if I didn't want it...than be blatantly denied such a useful tool outright.

Lots of features you can manage and turn on/off is great!

Lots of features you wish you had but don't have because the programmer-illuminati decided you didn't want them for you, is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom