How can I make a complete mirror of a hard drive using win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_rushtac

Beta member
I am currently upgrading an ATA133 hard drive to SCSI Drives. I started with a 40gb ATA drive and have run out of room and want more performance so I did what any man would do and I have installed a SCSI card and an 18gb and a 73gb SCSI drive. I have accumulated lots of information and small programs on the old ATA drive so I have installed all 3 in the computer, moved all my non essential programs and games to the 73gb disk and am left with my OS and essential programs on the old ATA drive. Can anyone advise me on the best method if any to transfer the remaining programs and info to the 18gb hard drive, I have about 12gb of programs to transfer, including my OS with all my drivers and settings. My problem is that I need to do it this way and not delete and setup the programs again if possible ( i have done this once a while ago when I crashed my HDD ) it took about 3 days straight to set up all the programs up again, I don't want to do it again if possible. Files and settings transfer wizard will not copy the vital parts of my OS and I do not know of any programs that can do this does anyone know of one, also I have thought of fooling my computer or using a program to setup the 18gb drive as a raid drive mirror copying the ATA drive over then reverting it back to a normal drive, would this possibly work, Hellppppp!!!!!!

two magic words: norton Ghost. Makes an exact image of a drive or partition and then recreates that image wherever you want. Its gotten me out of a LOT of big jams....

Thankyou sithspawn, I should have known it would be that simple. You have saved me 3 days of hell. May you live 3 days longer!!! (thanks for the good deed for the day)

hahaha. lol. no worries. What i did when i first discoverd ghost was reformatted, set all my programs up, then took an image of the drive so that whenever i want to do a fresh install, i just format and put the image back on. instead of taking a long time to reinstall and put everything back on exactly the same way - it takes me about 15 mins :)

Just a quick FYI,

Windows comes with a utility called Sysprep, this utility helps prepare the OS for imaging. If you are going to ghost a scsi drive, make sure you do a little research on possible command line switches that might be needed. It just might save you a few head aches as well.

i've heard of that ghost...read it in PC upgrade...they gave it like 4 1/2 stars or 5 stars some thing like that...i'll check it later. i read it and it looks to be a great program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom