How to apply thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffer

In Runtime
I just bought my first heatsink and fan. inside there's a small package saying "heat sink compound" with white liquid in it. How much should i apply? Really thin and even? and what i use to apply? a brush, spatula, the package doesn't come with anything else. thx

It's very simple. Just squeeze a pea sized dot, in the middle of the processor. Then seat the heatsink, having the heatsink's weight spreading it. Give it a little twist from left to right and back, to squeeze any air bubbles.

that'll help... i need to move my cpu and cooler on wednesday onto my new mobo which will arrive then, and i have no idea currently on how to do it xD

that'll help... i need to move my cpu and cooler on wednesday onto my new mobo which will arrive then, and i have no idea currently on how to do it xD

It's very simple. You'll just need some coffee filters, and some isopropyl alcohol. When you remove the hs/f, just clean off the CPU and hs/f base with the coffee filter/alcohol. Make sure you got all of the old thermal paste off, and then seat the CPU in the new mobo. Do either the dot method like b1gapl suggested, or the line method like I suggested, and reseat your hs/f on the new mobo. Twist it a few times, and you're done =).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom