how to add USB connections from the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomjonesrocks

Beta member
I have a case that offers some additional USB ports that it would be nice to utilize. Also, I have a ATI Pro II I'd like to install internally (that has an internal USB option).

Unfortunately, my mobo offers only 2 internal USB pin areas, both of which connect to USB jacks at the back of the case. From there I have a hub to run my external devices, etc. Of course.

But theoretically though there must be some way to gain more *internal* USB connections. If you can hub USB externally I don't know why you couldn't do it internally. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
TJR

tomjonesrocks said:
Unfortunately, my mobo offers only 2 internal USB pin areas, both of which connect to USB jacks at the back of the case. From there I have a hub to run my external devices, etc. Of course.

If your case does offer a Front Pannel USB Port, then you can use one of those Motherboard pin set for it.

You can also get some 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 Drive Bay USB connections. They are normally HUB hud that you wire out to the back of your PC via one of your back USB Connections.
If you are looking at getting one of these, then try to get one that is powered. Otherwise, you migh have some of the problems that are rather common with normal external USB Hubs. That is not being able to use all the ports at the same time.

USB Cards are good. How ever, if your computer is any thing less that a P-III processor, then I only recomend that you use a USB 1 Card, and not a USB 2 card.
In my experience, USB 2.0 Card Chipsets have this habbit on working on older machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom