How is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
Before you grade or suggest anything, please keep in mind that this is a computer that will be used for the Robotix Team at my school which I am a member of. We have a very limited budget and this setup was considered the best option since many have had success overclocking a Celeron D 320 with an after market heatsink to somewhere around 3.4 or 3.5 GHz.

Celeron D 330J
FOXCONN 915M03-G-8EKRS
Thermaltake Silent 775
Kingston Hyper X PC2-5400 256 MB
AOpen GeForce 6200
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Tower w/ 400W PSU
Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB
Optorite DVD +/- RW
Optorite DVD +/- RW
Thermaltake XaserIII KB + Mouse
Generic Floppy Drive
Atech Internal/External Card Reader
Windows 2000 Server

This will be used as a server to which many teams will connect during a competition hosted by NBTHS. I think it should run very well for our purposes.

You are getting all those high end components but a Celeron processor? Downgrade your sound card or even better yet, use onboard sound, and get a Pentium 4. Celerons suck, believe me. Just because it has a high clock speed doesn't mean its a good processor. You also don't need HyperX. Downgrade to 2.5 CL Value RAM and get 512MB. 256 isn't enough these days.

Well why are you using such high end products? Do you really need all this?... I highly doubt you need the video card, sound card, hard drive.. name brand kb and mouse.. hell you're whole setup sounds weird for it's purpose.. Are you really going to use this computer to its full potential is basically what i'd like to know.. otherwise we can really tone this thing down and save you some real cash.. So let us know =)

Good luck with the team though, hope everything works out. I was kinda in my schools team one year.. I just came to the meetings like once a month and then went for the limo ride to the contest lol.. didn't help really, but heck, the limo ride was fun=p

Yeah you should get 512mb of memory atleast, and like beedub said you really don't need HyperX and that money could go towards something else of better quality, need to even up the mix. Right now there's some high end thrown in with low end, try to find the middle.

Being that it's a server you'll want a good amount of RAM so like beedub said just get 512mb of ValueRAM with CL2.5 not 3 for sure.

If you move some things around you could probably get a better processor because celerons definitely aren't number crunchers, but again if it's a server and you feel the power is adequate, then that's completely up to you. Not saying it won't be, because I haven't seen how that server is set up and how it will be used and accessed etc...etc.. how much load is on it blah blah

It'll be used as a server... 256mb RAM? That's cutting it very fine, even for a basic server, nice speed though. Also, bear in mind clock speed is not everything in a CPU. What is it meant to do, as a server? What's it going to be serving, and how? If there's lots of lengthy HD access, the 10k rpm HD won't gain you much, it'd be more effective to grab 3 basic ones, mirror 2, and backup on the 3rd. If there's loads of intermittant stuff though, 10k will be an advantage.

ohh right i see now.. yea dude get rid of all the crap, you're wasting money where you could spend it for a better cpu and the 512 ram like everyone's suggesting

Ok... I just looked at the price of the raptor, and they're pretty cheap. I always have SCSI prices in my head for some reason. Mirroring simpler drives is still an option though, if transfer rates are an issue, they will be quicker.

You still haven't really described how this server will be used... If it's used to perform anything calculatory, kill the celeron, boost the RAM. If it's just a file server, you may not need a better CPU. You'll still need more RAM though :)

These are the things they wanted in this computer. I didn't want to put in the Celeron D, but I had to since the stuff they want will not leave enough money for a Pentium 4.

This server will be in our scouting workstation section of the field when we host events. It will run on a network (somehow, I don't know the details of that) and it will be used to collect data on other teams' robots. This will be running a database and that data will be stored on to this. Competing teams need to get a copy of the data too so we will end up burning on to cds. I don't know how they are going to run the database, but that is most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom