Hotter at 64-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I have been wondering about this and I've noticed that this has not been discussed on these forums yet. I am wondering if my AMD64 CPU will run hotter with a 64-bit operating system since the full-potential of the processor is being used. Also, if it will run hotter, how much hotter. I'm just curious....

Do you mean better performance? Because if that is the case then Windows XP Professional 64-bit version would run faster than the 32-bit version.

the 64bit windows operating system will fully utilise the 64bit architecture, letting the cpu run at 1600Mhz Fsb. logically, it follows that the temperature would increase, but it might not... contact AMD and find out what they think will happen.

contact AMD and find out what they think will happen, it would be interesting, not to mention helpful, to see their response.

i agree that it would run the same temp if not cooler because it can complete the same operation in half the cycles since it's doing 64 bits at a time instead of 32 so it only has to work for half as long.

i think it will run cooler. 64-bit os will take better advantage of this processor, but 99.9% of the software out there doesn't take full advantage of this processor's full potential. i actually think that the amd 64bit are not going to be used untill we see an unreal 2004 64bit edition. or more software using this processor's potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom