Is hotplugging dangerous? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Is hotplugging dangerous?

Hi all,

I remember my father told me when I was a child to always turn off computer before connecting the printer to the parallel port.

Is this still the rule?

I googled for info but found nothing to say it's OK, neither against doing it.

The only thing I have is this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotplugging:
Quote:
Machines that support hot swapping need some ability to detect that a component has been removed. In addition, all electrical and mechanical connections need to be designed such that neither the component nor the user can be harmed by removing it. Lastly, other components in the system must be designed such that the removal of a different component does not harm operation. Often there is some automatic recovery process.
So, connecting (hotplugging) a device to serial or parallel port:
What's your knowledge about this?
What do you do?
Any of you have any links where I can read about this?
Shall I assume I will potentially damage components if I hotplug (and thus, not do it)?

My box is from 1998
Running Linux (and windows)

Thanks...

Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Is hotplugging dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanH View Post
Hi all,

I remember my father told me when I was a child to always turn off computer before connecting the printer to the parallel port.

Is this still the rule?

I googled for info but found nothing to say it's OK, neither against doing it.

The only thing I have is this from Hotplugging: - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, connecting (hotplugging) a device to serial or parallel port:
What's your knowledge about this?
What do you do?
Any of you have any links where I can read about this?
Shall I assume I will potentially damage components if I hotplug (and thus, not do it)?

My box is from 1998
Running Linux (and windows)

Thanks...
Nah, I do it all the time. Be it the COM, LPT port or any port for external devices. The only rule is to turn the PC off while connecting internal parts. Your father is just playing it safe, but it is a good rule to remember. However in most businesses, taking down a server just so you can plug in a printer is NOT what you want to do.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

i connected a hd when my pc was running i got a nice spark
Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Nah, I do it all the time. Be it the COM, LPT port or any port for external devices. The only rule is to turn the PC off while connecting internal parts. Your father is just playing it safe, but it is a good rule to remember. However in most businesses, taking down a server just so you can plug in a printer is NOT what you want to do.
PS/2 ports generally need for the PC to be off or the device may not work or it may hang your computer. But yeah, parallel, LPT, serial, USB all are fine for hot plugging.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

You will want to make sure you haven't built up a static charge also, so that you don't accidentally discharge INTO the port...
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 05-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Great response!

From now on, I'm hotplugging (until I break something :-)).

Thanks everyone
Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Don't hot plug a PS/2 port device, it can easily fry the port, especialy on older machines, I have fried atleast four of them freaking ports here at Votech, and one my my computer at home for a Ps/2 mouse... But everything else is basicaly plug n play.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_scott View Post
Don't hot plug a PS/2 port device, it can easily fry the port, especialy on older machines, I have fried atleast four of them freaking ports here at Votech, and one my my computer at home for a Ps/2 mouse... But everything else is basicaly plug n play.
Lol, you didn't learn after the first time?

I have never FRIED a port, but I often find that on older computers, if you hotplug a PS/2 device, it will not work until you restart the computer.. Had my mouse "unplug itself" several times playing Diablo 2 in the past... plugged it back it to find it not working, and of course there was ALWAYS some nice item just sitting there waiting to be picked up, and the game would be gone by the time I would restart and relog... lol... memories.....
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 05-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I hated when that happened... One time i had a IK helm right in front of me back in 1.09...... Good ol days, anyways, no, I never learn....
Old 05-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

You'd be amazed at how plug-and-play compatible PS/2 devices are. I have both PS/2 mouse and keyboard and they both work instantly when plugging them in. Both on my old Socket A MSI board and on my new computer.
My uncle uses USB, and nothing but trouble. Takes him 30 reboots to get his mouse working. Also, if it works, USB mice take a while (few seconds) to be detected, PS/2 works instantly. And the PS/2 connector is easier to connect imo (easier to see which side goes where).

On my old MMX, sometimes hotplugging works, sometimes it doesn't. Even hotplugging the old keyboard with DIN connector works.