AMD Athlon 64 FX-60
American Megatrends Inc. BIOS v. 1009
2 Corsair MX DDR PC3200 - 1024 MBytes
2 eVGA 7900GTs in SLI Mode - Running 91.28 BETA Drivers
DirectX9.0c
Soundblaster X-FI Extreme Music
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
2 150GB 10000rpm Western Digital Raptors RAID Striped
Viewsonic VX922 Monitor with packaged driver.

The problem:
This rig is brand new, and runs incredibly smooth for the most part. The thing that is frustrating me the most is the monitor to computer connection. The thing is there are horizontal lines that cover the monitor from top to bottom, they are no more than a pixel in width and are very hard to see, but once you spot them there is no way to avoid them. They are even more noticeable while playing Direct3d games, almost sucks the crispness out of the colors and pictures as you can the lines on most if not all textures.

Things I've done:
Installed a multitude of different Nvidia drivers, checked the cables, checked the monitor on other computers and it runs perfectly fine with no lines. I've also run the monitor on an onboard video card and it gave the same results.

You should know:
This is our 4th monitor that yields the same results on both this computer and our previous. We've gone through multiple Viewsonics and a Samsung. The kicker is our Dell1800FP runs on these rigs just fine with no lines what so ever. Also know this rig is brand new; everything in this baby is fresh outta the box, same with the monitor.

I'd appreciate any input I can get, this problem refuses to go away and it's really killing me.. There is honestly no way to take your focus off the lines or act like they aren't there once you've noticed them. Thank you

Have you tried a different video card on the computer that creates lines on the monitor?

Also, is the computer overheating at all?

The computer is not overheating to my knowledge, presently the cards are running at 57 C and I have yet to see the processor itself about 41, I have Gigabyte water cooling on the processor.

On my previous computer we had the problem with an ATI 850XT and an eVGA 7800GT. The problem was only noticed when we bought a new monitor. The dell1800FP for some reason does not have these lines, only the newer ones.

What talldude123 said...

And the same thing happened to me and it was my video card dying. And mine was new just like yours. New drivers aren't going to help if it is the video card, but that was a good shot at trying to resolve the issue.

I also got the same results when playing games and it made it worse because playing games puts a heavy load demand on the gpu.

Speaking of heat, check your video card's fan and see if that is working.

yes. It's a video card issue then. You've tried the monitor on a different PC, and it worked without the lines correct?

I would recommend buying a cheap $100 card in the meantime, until you can afford a nice video card.

talldude123 said:
yes. It's a video card issue then. You've tried the monitor on a different PC, and it worked without the lines correct?

I would recommend buying a cheap $100 card in the meantime, until you can afford a nice video card.

He's already got TWO very nice cards. His best bet is to send the cards back from whence they came, and get two replacements.

Although I have a similar problem to his with my PC, but its just a single line to the left of the monitor screen, and thats been the case with 3 graphics cards, so its the monitor itself.

Re:

Hello,

It might just be the refresh rate of your screen, or ambient flourescent lighting causing the problem.

Also, do you have you installed the latest Nvidia graphics drivers?

Try lowering or highering the refresh rate of your monitor.

Hello again, just thought I'd fill you a little more on the situation. I just plugged in my 6 year old 1800FP from Dell and the lines are nowhere to be seen. The monitor has a refresh rate of 25ms, so alas there is ghosting all over the place and it's disgusting me. The thing I'm starting to realize is whenever I plug in a monitor with a 16 or below ms response time the lines are visible, it's either that or anything bigger than 18.1 inches viewable. That makes ZERO sense... But like I've said before I've owned a few monitors now that I've RMA'd or just flat out returned because of the line issue. It can't be the cards if this monitor doesn't have them right? It has to be a conflict with the low response times and the cards/motherboard? I'll be trying another 19inch dell fp with dsub connections here in a little bit and I will inform you of what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom