Hooking up a TV to a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

torps

Beta member
Does anyone have experence with hooking up a tv to a computer to use it as a monitor. I have heard that the resolution isn't that good, but hey, you watch DVD's on it, and that looks pretty good to me. You can get a 20" flat tv for about $100 and an adaptor for like 30 or 40 from tiger direct. That is a hell of a lot cheaper than a monitor. Do you guys think its a good idea to do? why or why not? Thanks

hi torps

yes when you talk about computers just forget the word impossible , you can do whatever you want to but since to hook up the television to the computer you need something like GForce4 video card with s-video out and voila your problem gets resolved
but although the money you save in this process i far less important than what you pay to an opthalmologist for your eyes
rest is upto you

Side note:
Way back when, the IBM pcs had a little round plugin on their monochrome video cards... hardly anyone knew what it was for...
You could plug this in to an RF adapter, ya know the ones that came with the home video games and computers of the day and poof! you were using your tv as a monitor...
Amazing how it comes full circle and now you have to pay more for it...

But is it OK to use a TV as a monitor with a good graphics card with a tv-out. The graphics card says it supports up to 1024x768 output resolution to a tv, that seems fine to me.

seriously only an idiot would try to use a tv as a monitor. like scorpiopank says, you will severely mess up your eyes. watching movies from dvd's and reading text off a monitor are 2 very different things. it doesnt pay to be cheap in this case.

thats what a friend of mine does - he did it through the wall and to his big screen to watch divx movies. It works great, plus you can get the audio cables from radio shack and put the audio on your tv or in his case, the surround sound!

i have a tv hooked up only for my dvd viewing....not for a monitor....on a standard tv the resolution sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom