Not open for further replies.

Korinth

Beta member
I recently built a computer with the following components:

Chaintech 9CJS Zenith mobo
Kingston PC3200 HyperX memory
P4 2.8GHz (Prescott core)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

When I first wired up the system I seemed to have some initial problems with programs erroring out upon install. The errors received seemed to point to memory problems, so I downloaded some memory testers and found some errors. Figured contacting Kingston and getting some new RAM fresh from the factory wouldnt hurt. Installed the RAM and problems persisted :( so ran some memory test on it once again and it appears to be erroring more frequently than before. Frequency is set at the spec 400Mhz, Im not trying to build an overclocked system just want a stable one :) But any help would be appreciated thanks.

try to enter your bios and find advanced chipset features or something similar and turning your RAM timing down, look for a place called CAS or CL and changing it to a HIGHER number... this should increase stability... otherwise heat could be a factor. about all i can think of right now.

Put memtest86 on a floppy and bootup with it:
www.memtest86.com

If there is something wrong with your RAM, that program will find out.

Could also be a motherboard problem though.. I have never heard of "Chaintech".

make sure the memory is in the correct slots and fully seated .
Return the bios to default until your installed.OC`ing is done in small increments then test with somthing like Prim95.I usually run a P95 test durring work hours or overnight.

Hmmm...

Well the latencies for the RAM are set to the specs given out by kingston, 2-2-2-5, running memtest86 (just one of the many memory testing programs ive used) errors out way more frequent with the new RAM, is there any suggestions on figuring out whether or not it is mobo/processor problem rather than RAM problem? I dont really see how this RAM could be bad, fresh from the company 3 days old :( anyways thanks for the help as yet :)

Ive received 2 sticks of BAD memory new .
1-256mb Kingston Rambus 1066
1-256mb Corsair XMS 2700LL .I would RMA the memory.

Heheh

How many times will a company let you RMA memory? Im sure with kingston it should be no big deal...

Memory Timings

Leonidas- after being able to mess with my comp some more I tried varying the timings in order to see if i could get clean passes from Memtest. It appears that when I change the DRAM RAS# to Precharge to 3 instead of 2(the specs from kingston) it passes the memorty tests just fine, does this seem like a bad memory problem? or pointing somewhere else? on a side note, changing the CAS latency had no affect whatsoever.... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom