Home Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a 56k modem card in both pc's. I'm still using one and the other pc is using cable modem.

PC with cable modem:
  • Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet Adapter (NC100)
  • 3 Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI
Other PC
  • PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21143
  • Microsoft Virtual Network Adapter
The Cat5 cable has definitely larger connections than the phone line connections.

Due to some advice from an installer (from cable company), I have on hand a Linksys USB 4 Port Hub and a Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Network Card (compatable with cable and dsl) and D-Link DHN-910 Networking cards (I think that is for 10Mb phone connection networking).

Is it okay to mix and match per se? Or would it be better to remove the cards and buy one of the cable networking systems in a box?

Also, do I need to remove the dial-up modem cards from the pc's?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Attachments

• 313.jpg
    313.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 314.gif
    314.gif
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 315.jpg
    315.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0
There is a 56k modem card in both pc's. I'm still using one and the other pc is using cable modem.

PC with cable modem:
  • Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet Adapter (NC100)
  • 3 Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI
Other PC
  • PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21143
  • Microsoft Virtual Network Adapter
The Cat5 cable has definitely larger connections than the phone line connections.

Due to some advice from an installer (from cable company), I have on hand a Linksys USB 4 Port Hub and a Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Network Card (compatable with cable and dsl) and D-Link DHN-910 Networking cards (I think that is for 10Mb phone connection networking).

Is it okay to mix and match per se? Or would it be better to remove the cards and buy one of the cable networking systems in a box?

Also, do I need to remove the dial-up modem cards from the pc's?

Thanks for all your help!!!

You can use any network card(NIC) and yes the modems can stay in the pc.

i found this on the net. it might help:

--------------------------------------------------
If you want to share an internet connection and do File and Printer Sharing you need 4 things and you already have one.

A Cable Modem ( you have this )- this is what connects you to the internet only. It only allows one computer to be online and so because of that, you will need the next thing on the list.

A Cable/DSL router ( you might have gotten this already )- A Linksys is a common choice. It is used to share an internet connection between two PCs. It gives an INTERNAL IP ADDRESS to you two computers while only having one OUTSIDE IP ADDRESS which is viewable by the outside world. The router also acts as a firewall so that people cannot hack into your PCs unless they are damn good and know things that I do not know. Here is a picture of a Linksys router:
befsr11.jpg

The next two things are two NIC cards: These install in ports on your computer and do not necesarily replace a modem. They have larger connecting plugs than that of a modem and use RJ-45 connectors as stated earlier.

The last is a HUB or a Switch ( preferably a Switch )- This goes from the CABLE/DSL Router to the NIC cards. It allows the computers to be connected together. This can be replaces if you get a multiple port CABLE/DSL ROUTER.

So the basic picture of your network would be like this....

Network%20Configuration.jpg

---------------------------------------------
cheers

You can use any network card(NIC) and yes the modems can stay in the pc.

i found this on the net. it might help:

--------------------------------------------------
If you want to share an internet connection and do File and Printer Sharing you need 4 things and you already have one.

A Cable Modem ( you have this )- this is what connects you to the internet only. It only allows one computer to be online and so because of that, you will need the next thing on the list.

A Cable/DSL router ( you might have gotten this already )- A Linksys is a common choice. It is used to share an internet connection between two PCs. It gives an INTERNAL IP ADDRESS to you two computers while only having one OUTSIDE IP ADDRESS which is viewable by the outside world. The router also acts as a firewall so that people cannot hack into your PCs unless they are damn good and know things that I do not know. Here is a picture of a Linksys router:
befsr11.jpg

The next two things are two NIC cards: These install in ports on your computer and do not necesarily replace a modem. They have larger connecting plugs than that of a modem and use RJ-45 connectors as stated earlier.

The last is a HUB or a Switch ( preferably a Switch )- This goes from the CABLE/DSL Router to the NIC cards. It allows the computers to be connected together. This can be replaces if you get a multiple port CABLE/DSL ROUTER.

So the basic picture of your network would be like this....

Network%20Configuration.jpg

---------------------------------------------
cheers

Wow! Thanks a lot! I think I might be able to follow that.

Ok, when I get that all hooked up, I'll be back to make sure I go through the proper procedure to get it all working. :D

I hate to differ on this m8 but cable modem will not work with a hub ( at least this is what i have found )
&
Just cheecked and TopLoader is rignt "cable modem will not work with a hub"

Will this set-up allow the use of the hub? Or does it require a hub? I realize that there needs to be someway to split the cable if it doesn't go in & out one pc.

Attachments

• 373.png
    373.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
Wow! Thanks a lot! I think I might be able to follow that.

Ok, when I get that all hooked up, I'll be back to make sure I go through the proper procedure to get it all working. :D

I hate to differ on this m8 but cable modem will not work with a hub ( at least this is what i have found )
&
Just cheecked and TopLoader is rignt "cable modem will not work with a hub"

Will this set-up allow the use of the hub? Or does it require a hub? I realize that there needs to be someway to split the cable if it doesn't go in & out one pc.

Was just browsing through and was wondering if you were succesfull at hooking your computers together. I support
these setups at work all the time were CABLE or DSL is connected
to a Linksys with four 10/100 switched ethernet ports. If you
have a Linksys that has only one port you can connect it to another switch but you need to use a crossover cable to do so.
IF your hub or switch has a port that can be switched between MDI and MDI-X then you can use a straight if you switch it to MDI. You can also connect the cable modem or DSL modem directly to a hub or switch and then connect your PC's to the same hub or switch. The problem with that is unless your ISP allows you more than one IP you will not be able to get out without a device that NATS such as the Linksys. I would not recommend this though since that leaves you wide open to an attack from the internet. You also have to make sure you have IP addresses for you PC's to talk to the Linksys.

Was just browsing through and was wondering if you were succesfull at hooking your computers together. I support
these setups at work all the time were CABLE or DSL is connected
to a Linksys with four 10/100 switched ethernet ports. If you
have a Linksys that has only one port you can connect it to another switch but you need to use a crossover cable to do so.
IF your hub or switch has a port that can be switched between MDI and MDI-X then you can use a straight if you switch it to MDI. You can also connect the cable modem or DSL modem directly to a hub or switch and then connect your PC's to the same hub or switch. The problem with that is unless your ISP allows you more than one IP you will not be able to get out without a device that NATS such as the Linksys. I would not recommend this though since that leaves you wide open to an attack from the internet. You also have to make sure you have IP addresses for you PC's to talk to the Linksys.

No, I haven't networked the 2 pc's as of yet, due to technical difficulties, like not being here, honey-do's, etc. :D

I have looked in several stores for the equipment. If legal to post, I'm interested in reputable internet sites to order.

I would like to do the set-up like the graphic post. My cable modem hooked to a router (to use the static IP address that I have now, and use a separate IP for each pc), router to hub, and hub to pc's.

If necessary, I'll go to a hub and then to each pc. Are there routers that also act as hubs or splitters for the cable?

My intent is to be able to access the internet with either pc, file and peripheral sharing, and gaming between the 2 pc's.

Thanks for all the help all!
:)

No, I haven't networked the 2 pc's as of yet, due to technical difficulties, like not being here, honey-do's, etc. :D

I have looked in several stores for the equipment. If legal to post, I'm interested in reputable internet sites to order.

I would like to do the set-up like the graphic post. My cable modem hooked to a router (to use the static IP address that I have now, and use a separate IP for each pc), router to hub, and hub to pc's.

If necessary, I'll go to a hub and then to each pc. Are there routers that also act as hubs or splitters for the cable?

My intent is to be able to access the internet with either pc, file and peripheral sharing, and gaming between the 2 pc's.

Thanks for all the help all!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom