Home Networking - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Default Home Networking

I'm not sure this is the right spot for this, but........ I guess you can move it if not.

I have two pc's in my house, (poor guy), and I would like to have them networked. They were networked when they were on dial-up modem. Now one pc is on cable modem and the previous networking does not work.

I was told that there is a totally different means to network the two when one is on cable. Please bear with me because I'm still a newbie on this stuff.

Here's what I would like to do with these two:
  • File sharing
  • Printer sharing
  • Scanner sharing
  • Both online (internet)
  • Game playing
Help? My question includes info about cards, cable, hub, etc. Thanks for any help and keep the techno lingo to minimum for hardward challenged individual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42.jpg (14.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 43.jpg (37.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 44.jpg (34.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 45.jpg (28.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 46.jpg (11.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 47.jpg (23.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 48.jpg (18.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 49.jpg (21.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 50.jpg (41.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 51.jpg (14.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 52.jpg (45.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 53.jpg (15.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 54.jpg (23.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 55.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 56.jpg (19.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 60.jpg (3.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 61.jpg (28.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 62.jpg (27.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-16-2002, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Home Networking

I'm not sure this is the right spot for this, but........ I guess you can move it if not.

I have two pc's in my house, (poor guy), and I would like to have them networked. They were networked when they were on dial-up modem. Now one pc is on cable modem and the previous networking does not work.

I was told that there is a totally different means to network the two when one is on cable. Please bear with me because I'm still a newbie on this stuff.

Here's what I would like to do with these two:
  • File sharing
  • Printer sharing
  • Scanner sharing
  • Both online (internet)
  • Game playing
Help? My question includes info about cards, cable, hub, etc. Thanks for any help and keep the techno lingo to minimum for hardward challenged individual.

Old 03-17-2002, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
DWZ
Newb Techie

Send a message via ICQ to DWZ Send a message via AIM to DWZ Send a message via Yahoo to DWZ

I will need a bit more informaition to help you... OS on both computers, how many network cards do you have, do you have any cables to connect them - if so, are they standard or crossover?

Think thats about all I need to know...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63.jpg (15.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 102.jpg (49.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 103.jpg (41.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 104.jpg (26.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 125.jpg (85.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 126.jpg (64.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 129.jpg (27.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 130.jpg (24.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2002, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
DWZ
Newb Techie

Send a message via ICQ to DWZ Send a message via AIM to DWZ Send a message via Yahoo to DWZ

I will need a bit more informaition to help you... OS on both computers, how many network cards do you have, do you have any cables to connect them - if so, are they standard or crossover?

Think thats about all I need to know...
Old 03-17-2002, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Networking

Yep, I would be interested on how to do this also!
Old 03-17-2002, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Networking

Yep, I would be interested on how to do this also!
Old 03-17-2002, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Both pc's have Windows 98. I'm thinking about upgrading one to Windows XP. Can they be different when networking?

One pc has a card for the external cable modem and a network card. The other has a dial-up card and a network card.

I have a hub and the standard cables for the dial-up. (I also have a cross-over cable, but I really don't know why )

I was told that the network cards and the cable used while I was on dial-up is not the same equipment needed since one is now on cable modem.

Let me know if you need models of network cards, hub, and cable nomenclature.

And, thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74.jpg (64.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 75.jpg (46.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 76.jpg (47.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 77.jpg (55.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 78.jpg (26.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2002, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Both pc's have Windows 98. I'm thinking about upgrading one to Windows XP. Can they be different when networking?

One pc has a card for the external cable modem and a network card. The other has a dial-up card and a network card.

I have a hub and the standard cables for the dial-up. (I also have a cross-over cable, but I really don't know why )

I was told that the network cards and the cable used while I was on dial-up is not the same equipment needed since one is now on cable modem.

Let me know if you need models of network cards, hub, and cable nomenclature.

And, thanks for the help.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you want to do all the things above than and you want to use a hub or a switch then that is fine. You will need to get a Network Card for each computer and then you can use Internet Sharing Software to get both computers online, but the main computer has to be on before the second computer can access the internet, once the main computer is turned off or restarted then the second computer will lose it's internet connection.

I would recommend going with the Linksys BEFSR41 4 Port Router, I have one and it has no problems whatsoever. With this option, any computer that you hook up to the router will be able to access the internet without the main computer having to be on first. You will need to get a Network Interface Card (NIC) for one of the computers.

You plug the ethernet cable that is going from your cable internet connection to the WAN port on the router and then you plug an ethernet cable from each computer to the router. All you have to do then is setup the router and everything should work.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you want to do all the things above than and you want to use a hub or a switch then that is fine. You will need to get a Network Card for each computer and then you can use Internet Sharing Software to get both computers online, but the main computer has to be on before the second computer can access the internet, once the main computer is turned off or restarted then the second computer will lose it's internet connection.

I would recommend going with the Linksys BEFSR41 4 Port Router, I have one and it has no problems whatsoever. With this option, any computer that you hook up to the router will be able to access the internet without the main computer having to be on first. You will need to get a Network Interface Card (NIC) for one of the computers.

You plug the ethernet cable that is going from your cable internet connection to the WAN port on the router and then you plug an ethernet cable from each computer to the router. All you have to do then is setup the router and everything should work.

Closed Thread