Are holographic displays the future? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: Are holographic displays the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParanormal View Post
Oculus Rift and Steam VR seem to indicate a shift toward VR before we see holograms, or neural integration
Neural interfaces are 20 to 50 years off in most estimates. Personally, 20 years seems extremely optimistic. But then I am not an expert.

Holographic headsets like Microsofts HoloLens are here now, but with poor FOV. They'll get much, much better in the following 5 years.

VR tech will follow a path similar to that of smartphones. They'll get really good, really quick. The first version releasing later this year will seem extremely cool, but go forwards just 3 years or so and try it again, and it'll be a comparatively poor experience.

Once the resolution gets high enough and the ergonomics are vastly improved, there are many use cases where VR / AR headsets will prove to be more convenient and better than fixed monitors and TVs for consuming content and using PCs. Why have a bulky monitor on your desk when you can envelop your entire vision in as many virtual monitors as you desire or require ?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

We might aswell all be fat people who sit on are arses and live in VR.. human bodies will be pointless if VR grows... will just put our brains in borgs so why are we trying to stay healthy lol

Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
We might aswell all be fat people who sit on are arses and live in VR.. human bodies will be pointless if VR grows... will just put our brains in borgs so why are we trying to stay healthy lol
Lol.

You laugh, but in 100 to 200 years time I really would not be all that surprised if people spent the vast majority of their lives in some kind of virtual reality. It'll be better with none of the downsides.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
Lol.

You laugh, but in 100 to 200 years time I really would not be all that surprised if people spent the vast majority of their lives in some kind of virtual reality. It'll be better with none of the downsides.
I hope not, but I can see humans heading that way! we want convenience and an easy life.. Japan has toilets that clean your arse right now in hotels lol..

Put a PC or PS4 with Oculus in front of the toilet with an iphone 6 besides him and a Wifi controlled robot on the floor and a man will never move again!..
Your thinking "what about when he wants to eat"? well just go on the iphone and order your food.. then use the robot to open the door and bring it to you

My dream life....
Old 04-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
I hope not, but I can see humans heading that way! we want convenience and an easy life.. Japan has toilets that clean your arse right now in hotels lol..

Put a PC or PS4 with Oculus in front of the toilet with an iphone 6 besides him and a Wifi controlled robot on the floor and a man will never move again!..
Your thinking "what about when he wants to eat"? well just go on the iphone and order your food.. then use the robot to open the door and bring it to you

My dream life....
I hope we do actually.

Perfected neural interfaces theoretically can replicate every sight, sound, smell, force etc that you can feel. It could be indistinguishable from reality.

You get to live in a Virtual World populated by billions. It'll likely still have a government of some form, and rich and poor of some sort (Society doesn't work any other way). But you won't get ill, you won't die, you won't get shot or murdered, anything bad that can happen won't. At least hopefully. I guess if you can simulate life perfectly, you can simulate being shot
Old 04-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Private Joker

^ You'll just have to worry about keeping your antivirus up to date so you don't have to run a scan after getting with a questionable virtual lady .

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
I hope we do actually.

Perfected neural interfaces theoretically can replicate every sight, sound, smell, force etc that you can feel. It could be indistinguishable from reality.

You get to live in a Virtual World populated by billions. It'll likely still have a government of some form, and rich and poor of some sort (Society doesn't work any other way). But you won't get ill, you won't die, you won't get shot or murdered, anything bad that can happen won't. At least hopefully. I guess if you can simulate life perfectly, you can simulate being shot
You could already be a virtual being, and not know it. Someplace else....your watching this life as your know it be be, in a VR headset
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
The strange one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
You could already be a virtual being, and not know it. Someplace else....your watching this life as your know it be be, in a VR headset
Yep i chose the red pill
iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Honestly I feel we would head more towards a Ghost In The Shell type of VR in the end.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Just Epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
I can only say one thing... I can't wait for a real life Sword Art...
I'd rather not be forced into a world comprised of 100 floors where my only chance of escape is to fight through each one as both the difficulty and risk of dying increases. Unless of course you just mean getting to play the game, that I wouldn't mind

- 120GB Corsair Force 3 - Windows 7 64 bit
- Arctic Silver 5 - Black NZXT Phantom
- Linksys WMP600n - Some random Samsung DVD drive

Sennheiser HD598s, over ear Momentum and Fiio e17
Crossfire 27" 1440p monitor
Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 - Cyanogen
HTC One Black 32gb - Android Revolution HD
Samsung Galaxy Tab pro 8.4 - Cyanogen
Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tv holographic