Are holographic displays the future? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2015, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Are holographic displays the future?

Do you think holographic displays are the next big thing, or will they be a gimmick that never catches on?
They look like they have a lot of potential. They can display a 3d image without the need for glasses, zero eye strain and the ability to look at it from different points of view.
What do you think? Would you buy one?

jerry990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Are holographic displays the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry990 View Post
Do you think holographic displays are the next big thing, or will they be a gimmick that never catches on?
They look like they have a lot of potential. They can display a 3d image without the need for glasses, zero eye strain and the ability to look at it from different points of view.
What do you think? Would you buy one?
Doesn't this involve having the entire room filled with cameras, and the receiver having a glass type box for the images to be created or a imaging camera above and below to create the image between them? I don't see how a hologram would work otherwise.. and in that case I think it will just be a gimmick as all houses and businesses will need a special room? which I don't see the point in...

Old 04-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
Doesn't this involve having the entire room filled with cameras, and the receiver having a glass type box for the images to be created or a imaging camera above and below to create the image between them? I don't see how a hologram would work otherwise.. and in that case I think it will just be a gimmick as all houses and businesses will need a special room? which I don't see the point in...
That's not the kind of 3D I mean. MIT is currently researching a holographic display that only needs as much room as a regular monitor.
You can see it in action here -
It's still a very early build, but imagine this in full colour and high definition. It will be glorious for things like gaming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130619112549-0_0.jpg (69.5 KB, 1 views)
jerry990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Triforcer

If they're eventually able to create a virtual environment then I believe it will be the next evolution of the TV. Otherwise, gimmick would be the better description.

There is another competing technology that might render any sort of technology like this obsolete though. Tapping into our minds to create our own virtual worlds would be the pinnacle of entertainment.

Baez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
The strange one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
Tapping into our minds to create our own virtual worlds would be the pinnacle of entertainment.
I've read a lot about neural interfaces and the gist is that ,physiologically speaking, our understanding the of the human brain is pretty primitive; let alone the understanding of consciousness which becomes spiritual for many people.

If human technology advances to the point of being capable of altering our thoughts or the perception of our senses then a direct neural interface will definitely will become the most luxurious form of entertainment possible. Have sex on the beach with the person of your dreams or play GTA in Manhattan with no repercussions.

MATRIX **** MAN

Heres some brain humor:

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Triforcer

The awesome, and simultaneously scary part is that it's matter of when, not if, we'll be able to. Our understanding of our minds is exponentially increasing at a rate equal to Moore's Law. That isn't coincidence; it's the steady increase in computing power allowing us to understand ourselves better.

A little off-topic (but includes new technologies like true VR), if you're interested and have a couple hours, read both parts of this: The AI Revolution: Road to Superintelligence - Wait But Why

It's VERY entertaining and shows just how close we are to understanding everything.

Baez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I can only say one thing... I can't wait for a real life Sword Art...
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
A little off-topic (but includes new technologies like true VR), if you're interested and have a couple hours, read both parts of this: The AI Revolution: Road to Superintelligence - Wait But Why

It's VERY entertaining and shows just how close we are to understanding everything.

We will be creating Borgs! and we will all be assimilated!
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

This is Star Trek becoming real, If we learn to put VR into our minds then the blind will be able to wear cameras to see, so many possibilities then who knows, Some crazy will try to start reprogramming us lol

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
The strange one

Oculus Rift and Steam VR seem to indicate a shift toward VR before we see holograms, or neural integration

iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tv holographic