Hiya, newbie here with some questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadley

In Runtime
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this site and have some questions. Sorry if i'm in the wrong forum for now!

B4 i start these WERE my system specs;

AMD Athlon XP3000+ (333)
Asus A7V600-F VIA KT600 mainboard
1gb PC2700
256mb ATI Radeon 9600 (bog standard version)

Now with this i was getting 7800 on 3Dmark 2001SE Pro and 2700 on 3Dmark 03.
I considered these marks as very poor and Doom 3 played very poor so i decided on a new graphics card and opted for a MSI Geforce FX 5900XT.

Doom 3 plays much better and this is backed up with an improvement in 3Dmark 2001 which is now 12050
3Dmark 03 is now 5670.

Are these figures about right?

Anyway the next question is more serious.
I have just noticed SiSoftware Sandra is showing my mainboard temp too high.
At idle it reads about 48 celsius but after a gaming session this rises to 65 celsius!!
The CPU temp stays at a constant 35 celsius.

My BIOS tells a different story tho, saying that it's my CPU temp thats high (up to 70 celsius) and that the mainboard is 36 celsius.

Which is right, Sandra or my BIOS?
Regardless tho these temps (for whichever it is) is far to high surely!!

Sorry for long post!!
Thanks for any help!

I'm pretty sure that your BIOS is right in this case. There isn't a CPU on this world that stays at the same temperature, 36C, going from idle to playing DOOM3. Check Sisiftware Sandra and reinstall it if possible. It's definately wrong.

Your BIOS is definitely reading right. Your cpu wouldn't sit there at 35C after you've played doom3. You need better cooling cause 70C is pretty hot for the CPU

Thanks for the help!
I'll be looking into upgrading the cooling side of things then.
Starting with the cpu heatsink and fan, any recommended? I don't want to be paying silly money mind!
What about the psu side of things tho? i've heard low power ones can be troublesome. Mines 300w. Would i need a better one when i install bigger fans etc?

Thanks for help

Starting with the cpu heatsink and fan, any recommended? I don't want to be paying silly money mind!

Thermaltake and Vantec IMOP sell the best cooling fans. Thermaltake is more expensive (slightly) but they are bettery quality.

What about the psu side of things tho? i've heard low power ones can be troublesome.

300watts is cutting it slim for what you're doing. Though it's a bit overkill in your situation, I always suggest a 500watt PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom