The hideous pitfalls of the X800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I am fed up with the poor performance I am getting for this $425 card. I also am not the happiest with all of the ATI fans here that persuaded me to get this card instead of the 6800GT which I almost got. Take a look at this Far Cry screenshot.

FarCry2004-08-2203-01-24-93Small.bmp

I am getting 12 frames per second in that screenshot. I've seen it dip as low as 9. My resolution is 1024x768, 2x AA, No AF, High settings, except for shadows which is medium. Doom 3 is little better. I get in the teens in the Hell level with vsync enabled, 1024x768, high settings, 2xAA. Turn vsync off, my framerate goes up to a playable level about 40, but I have refresh issues that drive me crazy. I've tried all the tweaks and the drivers and everything you all have suggested, and nothing works. I know its not a bad card because my 3Dmark03 score is so high and the Ruby demo plays beautifully. ATI fans say its driver problems, well thats bull in my opinion. The X800 Pro has been out long enough and through enough driver releases for ATI to get it right. I am going to look into returning this card and getting a 6800 GT. Heck, previous generation cards such as the 9800 Pro and the GeForce FX 5900 perform better in games than this card does. The 9800 Pro can play Far Cry on 1600x1200 with little to no lag, and Doom 3 on high settings at 1280x1024 with no lag whatsoever. The FX5900 shows about 40 frames per second at that same location in Far Cry. That is rediculous, because that card is wayyyy cheaper. I probably will be stuck with this garbage though. ATI has lost my support, and from now on, I am an Nvidia man.

have you modded the x800 pro at all?

i guess since you're kinda stuck with this card, try and unlock the 4 remaining pipelines . . . i've heard of people doing that and keeping the card stable . . .

maybe that will help with gameplay

I'll concur that the FX5900 does indeed show 40 frames per second. That's what I viewed when using FRAPS. This is indeed a stunning relevation that my card defeats a card of a "newer" generation big time. You ATI fan boys will persist in what you say, but you know you're aren't right.

Giancarlo said:
I'll concur that the FX5900 does indeed show 40 frames per second. That's what I viewed when using FRAPS. This is indeed a stunning relevation that my card defeats a card of a "newer" generation big time. You ATI fan boys will persist in what you say, but you know you're aren't right.

what settings are you running? like resolution, details, etc

koldapu said:
what settings are you running? like resolution, details, etc

Totally maxed out at 1024X768. Higher resolutions play around 20-30. You see even my card does better... why? I wouldn't know. My card is a previous generation, but yet... plays games better then the X800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom