Hi, some1 help about instaling 2nd HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyDer

Beta member
Hi I don’t know much, but I’m getting a new computer tomorrow. I want to take my old HD out and put it in my new computer. I just want to move some data from the old to the new then remove the old from the case again. I’m not 100 % sure on how I do this. Do i just open the case connect power and ide cable under the originally HD then boot up? Then will it show the new “c:” and the old “d:” there?

Or after I physically connect do I go into bios and make sure the new HD is a master and the old one is the slave? Then reboot? I just want to know because I donÂ’t want to try this then find out XP automatically fdisks the old disk losing everything...

Thanks for any help guys!!

Transfer

You just have to make sure you get the jumpers correct for the master and slave drives. There is sometimes a picture on the top of the HDD that will tell you the settings for the jumpers so they will register as master and slave. The only thing you might have to do in bios is make sure you have the boot set up for the drive with the os on it. Im pretty sure it automatically boots the master by default. It wont fdisk anything if you dont tell it too. Once you boot to the os you can just drag and drop from one HDD to the next. I did this and it works great if you just want to transfer a few old things. I wouldnt recommend this process though for transferring massive amounts of data, ie 10 gigs. :cool:

You can buy a program called Ghost (might be able to download trial for free). Ghost will do everything for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom