Hewlett packard 656c printer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel123

Baseband Member
I have a Hewlett Packard 656c printer and having problems with my usb. It will not detect it. I have downloaded my software. When i insert my usb cord to my printer it wont work. Im using Windows 98 SE. Please help!!

Windows 98 is horrible with usb support. I would try to install the printer manually through add/remove programs or upgrade your operating system to at least 2000.

How to i install the printer manually through add and remove can you take me there step sby step.

keep in mind, im on an xp machine so ill help based on what i see. Its up to you to figure out the rest.

start>>settings>>control panel>>add/remove hardware
Follow the instructions.
When you get to the part of where you can select the model of the printer, click have disk, and direct it to the folder in which has the driver for your printer. It should be in the installation directory.

This is the best I can do. I dont have a 98 machine in front of me to help you further. any questions, post back.

Ive had this printer for about 2 years already. Its giving me on Device manager on Other devices an exclaimation mark apollo p2500/2600. Ive tried it and nothing happenings, but i do see the pictures of 2 printers on my lower right icon where the clock is but not responding to print.

im sorry i cant help much further. I would need full control of your pc to figure it out rather than type everything. Try calling HP and see if they will troubleshoot it with you.

What you need to do is completely remove any traces of the hp driver/install & then do a clean install. There is a USB cleanup tool available from HP that will do this but I can't find the link.

Instead, do it manually:

1. Make sure the printer is connected to PC

2. Open Explorer & go to View->Folder options->View tab->advanced settings->Show all files.

3. Open the windows\inf\other folder & delete HP file

4. Remove all entries for HP printer in device manager

DO NOT restart PC at this time, & continue to leave printer plugged in

5. Run HP driver CD, if it has a 'remove all' option, then select it otherwise, remove software by running the uninstall option on the start menu or in add/remove progs.

6. When uninstall complete, make sure you unplug USB cable from PC before restarting PC.

7. Reboot & when windows is fully loaded, reconnect USB cable. Add new hardware wizard should start & allow you to install driver

When installing my sofware for hp printer. When about to sample a print page is telling me in printer folder there was an error writing to usb00x virtual printer port for the printer. Im going nuts trying to fix this!! Can anybody help step by step instuctions on how to correct this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom