Helppppppp

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderny

Solid State Member
OK i am totally confused an annoyed. Here is the situation. I have a computer bout year or so old. It is a pentium 4 2.24 ghz 128 mb ram, onboard video and sound. One day i go to turn it on and nothing happens. Monitor is on, speakers are on and printer is on. Pc has no power going to the same power strip. I moved it to the wall outlet still nothing. If i press the power button i will see the lights flash and the processor fan spin for a half turn then nothing. If i keep pressing the power button nothing happens. I put that power supply on another pc and it powered right up. i put a known good and working power supply to this pc and same thing nothing happens. I swapped out the power switch and nothing happens. I figured ok maybe it is the motherboard. i bought a new motherboard and put it together and plugged in everything, double checked all the wires and tried to power it up. same thing half a turn of the fan, lights flash then nothing. i had nothing plugged in except a connector to the motherboard and 1 to the hard drive. then i removed that one and only left the one to the board to see if the fans will power up..NOTHING. there is no memory stick installed because i have to get the right type for this new board but that shouldn't stop it from powering up. Then i was looking around and found an article that said to make sure the power supply is on the right voltage. the power supply has 115 and 230. it was on the 115 so i switched it and turned it on and bam power came on fan was spinning i thought damn what a waste of time but then i saw smoke and smelled something so i QUICKLY pulled out the power cord. nothing was hot except one wire going to the cd-rom spdif. I checked everything and everything was cool to the touch, no marks on the motherboard, no damage i can see, cpu and fan housing was still perfectly cold. So now i don't know what else to do. WHAT WOULD BE CASUING THIS NOT TO POWER UP AT ALL? anyone that can help i would be so appreciative. this is driving me nuts.

good article to go through, anyway, make it more readable:

OK i could understand that u have switched the PSU, fair enough,

and also u switched the motherboard?

as there is no danger of CPU death due to over heat as P-4 came with thermal protections. only thing that seems faulty now is: your mobo and your rams.

it is a brand new mobo and the same thing is happening with this mobo as on my other mobo. and i have no ram installed yet. i am just seeing if the fans will pwer up and nothing is happening. press the power switch, fan turns half a turn lights flash on then all dead

CMon man, complete system first, RAM is crucial part, sometimes systems doesnt boot up in absence of RAM,

anyway, as well check-out your casing, does it have a power leakage somewhere? check all other peripehels, unplugginf printers/scanners.

also, see that you have only PC plugged into wall socket, nothing else, as sometimes load balancing creates problems. you can also check ur system on other wall socket.

do all these tests, then let us know the report.

i have no ram..ram is not needed for the system to atleast power up..there is no power at all..it isn't even getting to post..i have nothing plugged into the system. i have the psu connector to the motherboard and thats it..the fans are not even turning on

have u made sure that your heatsink is making proper contact with your cpu? is tehre any thermal compound that has flowed over the surface where u put hte thermal compound? because most mobos come with an automatic thermal shutoff feature where if the processor reaches a certain temperature (usually 70*C) then it automatically shuts the computer down.. and trust me with p4s it takes less than a second to get from ambient temperature to like 60... make sure that ur heatsink and fan are seated properly and theres no overflowing thermal compound.. also make sure that you didnt put on any thermal compound without removing the head pad.. after checking and doing all that open up the side panel on the case and power up the computer in an exposed area (where there is no restriction of airflow to the case).. see if that'll fix ur problems

LOL, U must need RAM in order for it to boot up properly. I have computers at work that had no RAM in them and all they did was power on but no display. You Really need to install RAM and this will solve your problem

i don't think ram is the issue..i am not even getting the fans to power up. no pwer at all. i have the case open while i am trying the power button, i even took off the fan but have the fan still plugged in to let the cpu breath and see if it will turn on...nothing. there is no oozing of any compound off the cpu. i am totally stumped. new motherboard, power switch, psu, still not working. only thing is when i turn the cpu to 230 instead of the 115 it turns on but i have to shut it down right away because it actually smoked when i did it. but besides that i don't know what to do

I"d Say youve probably cooked something then. If there was smoke coming out of something then it is mre than likely fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom