Help on video card decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHammer

Solid State Member
In lamen's terms I know jack about most aspects of computers. So I have a few questions for all you smart ones out there. My Xfx Geforce fx 5200 256mb video card has been causing me problems straight out of the box. I get distored pictures, screen freezes up, fps goes way down and wont return to normal until I turn off the computer and more!

What im wondering is if anyone might have ideas for me to try in order to fix this, or wether you think its more likley that I purchased a faulty video card. (I know its the video card btw, when I revert back to my intergrated card everything works fine.)

Also, im wondering what peoples opinion would be on the purchasing of a video card for my particualur system.
Specs are:

Amd Athlon xp 1.4 ghz
512 PC2100 DDR
40GB UltraDMA hard drive
16x Max DVD-ROM drive
24x Max CD-RW Drive
Xfx Geforce Fx 5200 256MB DDR
(Thats all I know)

Im willing to spend around 150$ give or take.

My ultimate goal is to be able to run World of Warcraft with somewhat decent FPS. Maybe it would be best to just purchase a new system? Any opinions on any of my questions are greatly appraciated and you will be doing a poor old fool a HUGE favor.

Thanks for the replies guys, i'll look into that particular card. I forgot to add, my AGP is 4x and i'd perfer not to pay extra bucks on a card that will give a minimal increase to performace with my current system specs, will having a 4x AGP slot reduce performance on a 8x AGP card by an absurdly large amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom