Help with video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abercrombie

Baseband Member
Hello, I shipped out a video card to someone and it was in good packaging and he said that when he puts it in pink lines go up and down his screen. What could be the problem?

sounds like a bad connection between the card and monitor somewhere... I have some TV's that do that with my PS2 because of the bad connection it has. If I wiggle it just right, it works again. Sounds like a kinked or worn cable.

Ryan

What GPU is this?

My first guess is that it is a heat problem.

Tell him to try different drivers if the drivers don't change situation at least you know it isn't caused by drivers.

If the GPU worked perfectly fine in your PC before it is most likely not a defected GPU unless it could damage somehow during shipping.

Ask him to plug the GPU in another PC. If it works perfectly fine in the other PC it could be a mobo problem.

Honestly though like I said I think it is a heat problem especially when the corruption only starts during certain apps like games which could stress out GPUs. If it happens all the time it could be defected GPU. RMA it.

HAVOC2k5 said:
That looks like a driver issue to me. It also looks like he's running in (Med 16bit) instead of (High 32bit).

I doubt it. the bit resolution on the card shold not produce the artifacts. If the card's circuit face or agp pins were touched wihtout rubber gloves or some kind of static protection....ouch...it's a frisby. If it has been overclocked, the oc'ing needs to be backed off to eliminate the artifacts. I doubt it's drivers...looks like something pretty yucky like a now bad video card!! But anything is possible I suppose???

Abercrombie said:
its a 9800pro and il lask him what psu he has.

Yeah the reason why I asked you that is because I suspected it was a 9800 pro because I have seen this exact thing happen to them.

Usually it's a PSU issue. It's not necessarily that the PSU is too weak or a bad brand because I have known people to change their PSU to one that is weaker and have all those problems go away. Another thing could be heat. Use ATI tool to see how hot the 9800 Pro but since the image you gave showed pink dots out of a game...did he just exit a game?...I don't think it is heat. The cooling on the 9800 Pro is modest at best.

Also try turning things like Fast Write off in the CCC or ATI control center. Lower the hardware acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom