Help with tv on my computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2005, 06:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Help with tv on my computer

Hi to everyone.

I've just registered here and this is my first post. I need some help on purchasing some hardware that will enable me to view tv on my computer. My computer is a dell laptop (2.6gig pentium, 512MB ram). What I want to be able to do is to put my laptop by my television set, remove the arial lead from the tv and insert it into a usb tv device, so that I can record tv programs to my hard drive.

I have satellite tv (UK SKY digital - not sure if that's relevant). I don't need anything that will tune the tv channels, I'll be using the digital box that sits under the television for that, all I need is some hardware that will allow me to move the output cable of the digital tv tuner from the tv to a usb device, which will enable me to watch/record tv programs, with no loss of quality.

I'm confused as to what I should be looking for. I've had a search on Ebay and found lots of different products, but the amount of choice and the wide price range has convinced me that I need to seek some advice.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
You can find many cheaper ones. I suggest you buy something at least $80.
I don't know if you can get all your channels though.

What kind of TV do you have?

Old 04-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the link turtile.

My TV is a crappy old 20inch Sanyo.

Having searched around the net, and asked in a few forums I'm beginning to think that a cheap DVD recorder may better suit my needs.
Closed Thread