Help on setting up computer to control appliances - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Help on setting up computer to control appliances

Hey everyone!

I've always wanted to control my appliances via my computer also inspired by Star Trek, however, I want to take it a step furtuer...

I recently found out via Instructables Tutorial , like you can run the Internet/Phone line through your electric, you can do the same with commands via your computer to turn on/off remote controlled appliances. This would, I presumebly be step one to buy and set up.

- Is there a limit on how many appliances I can program to connect with this device and is this the best way?

However, aswell as being able to type the command in, my first mini project, as I will not be able to go out and buy the everything at once, will be to make the blinds open and the lights slowly turn on to gently wake me up in the morning, but eventaully, I want to somehow adapt the Windows 7 Speech Recognition to record the person who is speaking when they say 'Computer' as well as the normal 'Start Listening' command.

I want to get some microphones dotted around my appartment and some celling speakers in every room which will be also connected to the computer, so if am in the Living room, I could say 'Computer - Dim Lounge Lights' or 'Computer - Turn On/Off TV'.

- How can I edit and/or add commands to the Windows 7 Speech Recognition?

Pritty big project I know, but I'd love to eventaully set it up and to amaze my guests by talkin anywhere to turn on the radio or whatnot!

Would love for people to give advice and any problems which may occure please.

Best Regards,
Closed Thread