Help with school project

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesman

In Runtime
i have to complete a group porject whre we set up a fictional WAN. We are currently stuck with setting up the servers at the main building.

We are not sure on how to set up the server, how many we will need at main building, or how the OS's will work.

We have found a main server that works, it is located here: http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?cid=83266&parentId=48589
Well as far as i know you can only include the Sun OS, and wlel how can i run the server withthis on it and have it work just say as the following:
DNS server
Admin Server
File Server.
and the Point of Presence for the net

We also wanted to know how we coyuld set it up in conjuncton witha win2k server, and run exchange sothat we cangivde e-mail to all the buildings in the project.

Basiclly what setup would we have to use?

Could wwe run this stuff off the main server? or do we haveto have seperate servers being controlledf rom this main SUN Box.

Thanks guys, i REALLY need help with This.

You are screwed. Just kidding. Is It required that you use sun and windows servers. If it is not just use windows servers across the board. That is, if that is what you are more familiar with. May help if you provide a little more detail.

Dump Windows! (grins!)

For a WAN, as I understand you'll need to connect at least two LAN's.

For each LAN, you could use at least one Linux machine and just for the sake of it, a win2k machine. On one of the Linux machine, run DNS and File server and for win2k machine use Samba for file sharing. Connection between two LANs depends on how far they are, you could set them up with a phoneline or satellite (just a thought!)

ok, i will be having 5 main WAN connectioins going to the main building form the school district, which is what we are designing. So Linux for DNS and main admin and file server hey? and what is samba? can u give me alink on it? i must supply all material on all programs / software/ etc i use with the project.

So how would the linux box and win2k box work together?

But acually though, the setup for servers were to go as follow:

there are 6 schools so basicly each school would have an admin/file/application server that conects to the MDF and then is sent via router to the main building where all hte admin info and what not is bncaked up on a main admin server, which is goinbg to run Novell or linux for fault tolerence.

Basiclly the district ofice will be the POP for the internet for the whole WAN, all the buildings will access the net through that. So we have a cisco 7600 router set up there, plus we were goin to house the main admin server which would also have the DNS and whatever else we needed on it, and have a seperate server set up for exchange e-mail accounts for the WAN. But the main server we are going to use is the one i linked to aboe, and well only comes with the SUN OS, and i was wondering how i would use it.

woudl i have to set it up to work with a seperate dns and admin server and exchange servers? or cahn i run these functions, except exchange cause u need win2k, off of the sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom