Help SATA HD first pc bulid going well

Status
Not open for further replies.

SureShot

Baseband Member
ok im on my first pc build and i have everything up and running and it looks great... but i have a sata hd and when i go to install win xp it says it doenst recognize a hd anywhere... so then there was this thing i saw about going into a raid controller... so i did that and it shows my hd there with the 160 gb ... but i dont know what to do now to fdisk it or partition it or whatever i have to do so i can intall an os on it... please help...

Thanks, ERic

If you are installing Windows XP on a system where you only have Serial ATA Drives you might encounter a problem where Windows does not seem to detect your Hard Drive and reports "No mass storage device found" during an installation (this occurs in Windows NT and Windows 2000 as well). This is because there are no SATA HD drivers in Windows XP/2K/NT and you need to load 3rd party drivers (just like with many SCSI drives).

To do this do the following:

First make sure that the drive is actually detected by the SATA controller. You should see something either in BIOS, or on bootup that indicates the drive is detected.

With the Windows XP install disk is in the CD-ROM drive turn on your system and go into the Windows XP installation

Now at the installation screen, which is blue, note very carefully at the bottom of the screen for the text that asks you to press F6. You MUST press F6 and then provide drivers for your SATA drive. These drivers usually come from your manufacturer or motherboard on a floppy disk. Make sure you load up the drivers before you continue!!

Installation should continue as normal now. remember to take out the floppy disk containing the drivers so that Windows XP setup can reboot.

thanks man its partitioning the hd as we speak... i split it into 2 80 gig ones... and i said install xp on this one and it is partitioning it right now... at about 26% and its 2 am... hehe... i think this is going to be an all nighter

thanks, Eric

cas0496 that was great advice, i am speechless :surprised . however i am not surprised that SureShot used the 50/50 rule. it's so predictable when people are learning to partition...i still can't figure out why people do that :rolleyes:

So pbstriker28, youre experiencing the same issue with a Serial ATA HDD?

Go to your mobo manufacturers website and look for one. If you dont find one (like I didnt) you can contact customer support and have em send you one (have em email you the floppyable exe).

my sata drivers came on a cd with my mobo is that all rite?or do i have to get a floppy with the drivers on there???

yes that's all right, you just have to give the path on the CDROM (example D:\SATA\) when it asks you for it, you may have to take out the XP CD, put in the driver CD, then when it asks you again put back in XP if you have one CD drive

*edit*
- why was cas0496 banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom