HELP!! Saitek Gamers Keyboard Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default HELP!! Saitek Gamers Keyboard Problems

So earlier today I restart my computer to enter the bios to start some overclocking. My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe so normally I press delete to enter it. However this time, nothing happens. I restart a few times to check I wasnt pressing the button the wrong time, but still had no luck. I also tried the other buttons you can press in startup i.e. f8 for boot options but nothing worked.

(I remember a few days ago I logged in and it said something about Saitek keyoard drivers being unistalled/installed (cant remember which) although I hadnnt done anything to make this happen, I just ignored this.)

So I got into windows and started trying to fiddle with the Saitek drivers to see if I could reinstall anything to get it to work. I tried to uninstall everything and reinstall but I only ended up installing the human interface drivers. I did something like add new hardware and got the rest of the drivers off from the disc in control panel so I had about 8 relation to the keyboard. However at this point the keyboard stopped responding. I couldnt type anything. Stupidly I restarted thinking it would help and am stuck on the logon page where the only accounts have passwords

What has caused all this with my keyboard and is there anything I can do now apart from get a new keyboard to get past the logon screen?

And also, in general are ps2 keyboards better?

Thanks for any help

Old 04-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

i dont know about your other problem but USB are better than ps/2

EVGA 9800GT
Corsair Dominator 4GB
Ultra LSP 750W
Old 04-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

funny thing, I almost got a saitek keyboard today, but went for a G-15 instead.
did you get a driver disk with it?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok, for some reason, by plugging it into my laptop, and then plugging it back into my desktop the keyboard works again, but I STILL cant access the bios by pressing 'delete' and on that note I can not do anything with the keyboard when botting up.

As I turn the computer on, the backlight flashes on and then goes off until I get to the log-on screen.

4 days ago I could access the bios fine with this keyboard so I do not know what has happened now. . .

Would a usb>ps2 converter help? What can I do to get it to work?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

try using a PS/2 keyboard to get into the BIOS, and see if there's an option to enable "legacy USB"
Old 04-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

maybe the wire was lose?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by john3
maybe the wire was lose?
no, it's because motherboards by default look for keyoard commands from a PS/2 keyboard, unless legacy USB is enabled
Old 04-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

oh i c, so before i put in a USB keyboard, i have to use PS/2 to enable the legacy USB, or do some Mobos come default with legacy enbaled? and if they do. does the DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D, cuase im getting the saitek.

but how does putting it into his laptop, then using it on his computer again fix it, when no1 actually enabled legacy usb?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think any motherboards have it on by default.

however, you will be able to use a USB keyboard once you get to Windows, since Windows has drivers which will work with any USB keyboard
if you use MS-DOS for whatever reason (flashing a BIOS or something), you will need legacy USB enabled for it though.

if the keyboard has extra features, you'll still be able to use the keyboard with the Windows drivers. but you'll usually need to install the manufacturers drivers to use the extra features.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Switch

I just keep my old PS/2 keyboard if i have to use the F8 thing. I can get in my BIOS though without switching keyboards though.

Closed Thread