help! powering a gpu fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
Well I got my Arctic NV Silencer 6 in the post today... i was so excited, ripped that passive heatsink off my 6600GT pcie and went to install the silencer... only one problem, bloody gigabyte have removed the fan power connecter off my card... so how can I power the new fan ??? at the mo i have wedged it (its a two pin connector) onto two of the pins on the mobo... but i dont know that this is working properly as the cooling doesnt seem great...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

pretty sure all those little fans are +12v fans, but will only take a small portion of that +12v line. I've actually done what you're doing hygor and just wedged that 2pin on the 3pin slot, just making sure you're infact lining up the ground with the power...I think it was backwards for me fitting it on there.

Splicing the wires onto a 3pin is probably your best bet.

Red = +12v
Black = Ground
Yellow = RPM Detection

i copied the same colour wires that my cpu fan lined up with (red middle and black right) it seems to be working... the weird thing is that every time i turn on my pc the temp is lower... the arctic silver paste that came with my new heatsink and fan says that it needs to be run in for 200 hours for optimal cooling... so am i likely to keep getting better temps over time? i am 9C cooler than when i first installed and this is my 3rd reboot!

Yay... its cooler than ever... and when testing in games it so far hasnt got out of the top 80c range (it hasnt reached 90c yet!!)

I have taken photos and stuff so will post a tutorial and some benchmarks/temps a bit later!

Cool deal hygor, that's indeed some good news. My eVGA 6600GT (AGP) will hit 80C with stock settings, if I overclock the core to 564 it will hit 87C if it's fairly warm in my room, if I have the window cracked maybe like 82C instead, but it looks like you've really brought them temps down.

Theoretically yes your temps should continue to drop as the AS5 settles, but since you're already getting good temps, just so you don't get disappointed I wouldn't expect anymore huge drops.

cool... I am now able with over clocking to get 8417 in 3DMark03, which is an improvement from my previous best of 8099 (not OC'd as much) and 7900 stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom