Help plz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxkrnxstylezxx

In Runtime
dunno if i'm not supposed to post in this section but no one replies in the otehr one....

i wanna reformat my hdd...i have xp home...is there a way to back up my files so that i dont have to install all the programs again?? and how do i back up my drivers and settings and stuff...am i supposed to do this

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

what else will i need to back up? ive never done this and its probably gonna take a long time....is there a guide somewhere that teaches you step by step how to reformat?? i heard i could partion my hdd into separate parts so the next time can save my stuff on one part and reformat the other...how would i do this

sorry for so many questions...im kinda in a hurry and dunno how to do this...any help or tips would be appreciated

thx alot!

I'm sure this is covered somewhere in the forum.

First off yes, that transfer thing would probably work, provided you can store the back-up on a CD or something. You'd also have to back up all your data (documents, pictures, etc) seperately. I've never used it so I don't know really. You can find programs like My Drivers to back-up drivers (but you have to pay for the full, non-trial version of that one... don't know any others).

When I reformat and partition I use a start-up floppy disk with FDISK (google for it, you can find sites that offer little programs that make them for you...), as FDISK is what I use to create partitions. There's probably some better way to do it, but that's what I do (works for me *shrug*). I'm not sure about reformatting partitions but it should be possible.... I'm probably not the person to ask on that stuff...

Anyway simply put find a site that lets you make boot floppies (win98 boot floppy should work fine). FIND ONE WITH CD-ROM DRIVERS, IT HELPS A LOT!! Make sure you know some basic DOS commands. Have the floppy IN the drive when you boot up, type FORMAT C: to format the C: drive (assuming this is your hard drive's letter) and afterwards, you can use FDISK to create partitions.

Meh, you can probably find all this in much more detail with a quick search on Google. Just search 'reformat hard drive' or 'how to partition hard drive' or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom