Help Please!(regarding video card) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2005, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation Help Please!(regarding video card)

Ok, I reformated my computer with a new video card I just bought off ebay, but when I run games it runs them for a little bit then my computer freezes(lasts longer on some games more than others) forcing me to restart. Whats the problem?

My specs:

Dell Dimension Desktop 4100
Windows ME
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128MB(This is the card i just got, thouh I can only run it at 64MB, is what my PC maxes at.)
Sound Blaster Live Value(not sure if you need to know this)
Also I think it might be my power supply... My power supply is 200 watts.

I have the minimuim specs for the card... It should work, even tryed making the card run on 32MB. Even underclocked all the way.

I paid $140 for it and can't return it, that was all my money.

Someone please help...

P.S. I'm going to sleep now so i won't reply till around 10-12 hours from now. But please do post, i'll be reading in morning.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

never trust ebay.... was it used or new in box?

Old 02-06-2005, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It was used, but still, it works as a card...

Just wanted to note that counter strike always freezes when i'm in options menu... other games freeze "ingame".

zzzzzzz computers are such a hassle. Should go back to PS2 -_-
Old 02-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to grego

If you are only trying to run half life 1 it should run pretty damn good. I have an 8500LE and a P3 733 from gateway and halflife one runs like Ice. I switched from onboard intel graphics and literally got a 10X improvement in frame rate. You should def get perfect frame rates in HL1. Umm....Bacardi?
Yes, but no sprinkles. For every sprinkle i find, i shall KILL you.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

did u swap the Psu when u put the new card in ??? dell computers com with enuf W to power whats in the case, if u upgrade, u need to upgrade ths psu aswell
Sig reinstated. SigSanta
Old 02-06-2005, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Did u installed the drivers with the cd u sapouse to have, it could help u, if not then that card must be broken.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well i did not upgrade my PSU, its still just 200 watts as it was before. Ans i don't think the card is broken because I can run this MMORPG called tantra which is 3D, with about Lineage2 graphics, and i can run if from anywhere inbetween 5-50 min. Like when i'm playing ingame on that game everything runs really nice, Counter Strike(HL1) i can't even get in a game, it just freezes before i can even pick one from the list. I installed the latest drivers right after i reformated, even using directX 9.0c.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Im guessing the PSU as dell have TERRIBLE ones in their cases.

Also, if a new PSU doesnt work (you need a new PSU, it's a dell) try reformatting.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Can i swap PSU with a friend of mine who has a Atlas(I donno what brand this is, my friend might be mistaken for a Athlon) computer. Since he runs a 32MB card he doesn't really need a high power supply. I can do this right? My motherboard should work with his PSU, and vice-versa?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Provided that theres only the 20 pin ATX connector from the PSU to the mobo on your current PSU then theres no reason why you shouldn't be able to swap PSUs.

However, although upgrading the PSU would be a good move, I'm not convinced that it will fix the problems you are having.

You might find problem is solved by running as OS other than Windows ME.
Could also try checking which resources the video card is sharing (if any) with other devices.
Also check to see what other programs are running in the background.

Closed Thread