Help please, RAM timing/selection related!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigofm

Beta member
Hi everyone, ok I need some major help. First I will tell you my system:
550W PS
Abit IS7
P4 2.6ghz (soon to be 3.2 northwood)
Two 256mb sticks runnin in dual channel- Kingston HyperX PC3200
Radeon 9800 pro- soon to be x800 XT plat ed
Santa Cruz sound card
WD 120gb HD

My problem is on upgrading the RAM, and I only have about 26 hours to decide before the deal runs out. Here are the 2 RAM I was deciding on. I am gonna get two 512 sticks and run them in dual channel.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-424&depa=0

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-112&depa=0

Here is my dilema, I love PC gaming and this comp is for gaming. I will not be doing any overclocking! I have tried to listen to numerous friends telling me I should go with the expensive RAM cause the timings will give it a boost in performance in games. Then I have heard other friends say that I should only get the expensive RAM for overclocking, and that with a Pentium 4 it will not make any difference between the two timings. This is very important because the price gap is so big, I don't want to get the value RAM and find out it runs crappy, and I don't want to get the expensive RAM and find out that it runs the same on my PC as value RAM. Please help me, I am torn and cannot afford to waste money as I have a set budget. Thank you so much, any help you can give me is much appreciated.

if you are going to be playing games, and not going to be very heavy on multitasking different programs and operations, just get 2 sticks of the 512 value ram, they will last you a long time..

It all depends on what you will be doing.. the hyperx ram and its speeds only start to show when your computer recources start to get too heavy due to multitasking with various programs..

if you are like me, and play one game at a time, dont multitask heavy stuff, then go for the value.. you will not notice much difference, if any at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom