Help please. fx5900 and ASUS A7S333 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2003, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Help please. fx5900 and ASUS A7S333

I just got my new MSI GeForceFX5900SP VTD256.

After uninstalling my previous board and configuring my new card, my computer froze with a blank white screen.

After variuos unsuccessfull setups from at my BIOS, I decided to format and reinstall my Windows2000 with SP3.

As soon as I install my video drivers, the problem comes back.

Fooling around with my BIOS setup (AGP apperture size and stuff) and my card memory, 2D and 3D frequences, I could put my system to work ok for a longer time. But it freezes at the and anyway.

I found that my cards conf was unable to detect my AGP slot speed and capabilities (mine is 4X). And it detected it as "AGP(on PCI mode)".

I then updated my mobo BIOS and installed a new VGA driver from ASUS. Now my fx5900 can detect my AGP speed and now it displays "AGP" instead of "AGP(on PCI mode)".

I thought that would work but it still freezes after a moment. I unplugged all my periferals, leaving only my HD, CDRW and video card on fearing that it could be something with power force.

If I use only regular apps, like browsing the internet and stuff, my comp works for about 10 min before freezing. But if I run 3Dmark 2000, it crashes right in the 1st, 2nd test.

Any IDEAS what is going on? Is it overheating (the cooler runs ok and the temperature when I check is cool)? Is my card malfunctioning?

Here's my systems config:

Ah I'm using the MSI drivers and not de detonator.

Athlon XP1700+
HD 40GB seagate 7200RPM
Mobo ASUS A7S333 - bios as331600 and most recent drivers
MSI GeForce fx5900SP VTD256 with most recent drivers
Config on BIOS set to -
AGP Aperture size = 256MB
Agp "Speed" = 4X
Video card = AGP VGA Card
Supprt for PCI2.1 = enabled
Fast writes = Enabled
Closed Thread