Help please... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Help please...

Ok, I have a mates computer here. It's had this ongoing problem which I really want to get rid of. Sometimes It will turn on, sometimes it wont. Sometimes if you fiddle with the ram a bit, and stick it back in, it works. But yeah, now...it has stopped working again. I want to test each bit of hardware(mo/bo, psu, etc...), but I have no tools, just the pc and my bare hands. Can someone please help me out to let me know how I could test it all, so I can then narrow it down to the one faulty piece of hardware. Thank you very much.

Chris

Old 01-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vinsanity

Send a message via AIM to BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

It could be a powersupply problem, but than again that ram thing sounded odd. unles you have an other PSU there is no way to test the PSU and same wiht the ram. Unles you put the hardware from his comp in your comp. (i.e. Take out your psu and put his psu in there if they are compatible and try to turn it on if it goes on wiht no problems than the PSU is ok) you coul do this with the PSU, maybe ram if it is compatible, mobo and cpu. I think this should help but let me know if you need somethign else.

-Buffalo 2x1gb ddr2 800
-Hitachi 250gb Sata HDD
-Antec Minuet Case w/ 350w psu
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Old 01-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah its just weird. Theres one thing that makes me think its not psu, but I can't be sure. Is that when he first got it off another mate, he had the same problem. Then my mate changed the psu thinking it was faulty. But it's happening even with the different one he put in.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Vinsanity

Send a message via AIM to BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

Hmm.. I would next check the ram then. That is odd what you were talking about earlier. Try puting the ram in an other person's system and see if it works.
-Buffalo 2x1gb ddr2 800
-Hitachi 250gb Sata HDD
-Antec Minuet Case w/ 350w psu
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Old 01-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, theres actually a little bit more to the story. This problem came to me a while ago, and I first went to the ram, took one out put it back in and then it worked. Then two weeks later it did it again, so I took that ram stick out completlely, it worked. But now it's doing the same problem again....
What do you suggest about it all?
Thank you
Old 01-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

maybe it's not connected in there properly...
when you say "it works" does it boot up and everything, and when it doesn't work, does it even turn on, does it give a "beep"?
try putting new ram in there if you have any ie. from your computer, see if the problem persists