Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
it means you used an older IDE 40 wire IDE cable, and Floppy disk fail means you have a Floppy drive setup in your bios but the system doesn't detect one (floppy cable or power cable might not be plugged in)

ok ok I get it now I was just changing my old stuff into my new case and I used older cables by accident and really haven't plugged in my Floppy also what happens is that it would read two drives right but when I try to put the Optical drives up it won't read anything is it because of older IDE cables?

Older ide cables won't make any difference to the optical drives.
Are the optical drives both on the same cable?

When you say it won't read anything - do you mean they're not detected in the bios or that the drive won't read the media?

GrimReaper23 said:
also what happens is that it would read two drives right but when I try to put the Optical drives up it won't read anything is it because of older IDE cables?

are you trying to boot from cd? is the drive detected?

if the drive isn't detected, ensure the IDE cable is plugged in as well as the power cable, also check your jumper settings to ensure that only one drive on the cable is Master and only one is Slave. If there is only one drive on teh cable, then make sure it is set to Master

if you are trying to boot from cd, enter the bios setup and ensure it is set to boot from cd first

No it won't read the HArdrives or the drives then when I take of the IDE cable to the Drives it reads them perfectly. Is there a downfall for having older IDE cables.

Nubius said:
Slower transfer rate. The newer 80wire IDEs allow for the ATA133

well actually 80 wire cables are for ATA66/100/133 :p the 40wire ones were for ATA33 and before it which you can use on CD-Rom drives since they are all ATA33

I never said it didn't support 66 or 100, I merely pointed out that it allows for the higher 133 which is optimal and the older IDEs would be...as I said...a slower transfer rate, assuming your drive could even send up to 133 speeds which is generally a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom