help picking mouse and keyboard - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default help picking mouse and keyboard

I think this is the right place for this topic! I'm looking for a decent keyboard and mouse (as a combo or separate) for my computer I recently finished. It's mostly a gaming computer but there will be occasional word processing on it. It doesn't have to be flashy but maybe something nicer than I have.

I have an old Dell keyboard now and an ancient Dell mouse that I borrowed from the fire station that we had laying around but I need to get my own. I have searched on Newegg and found a ton. Any brands to suggest? Any brands to steer clear from?

Thanks much in advance!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: help picking mouse and keyboard

microsoft and logitech are quality brands that I always look into. If you're looking for some gaming stuff, i would recommend a Saitek Eclipse II for a keyboard (under 40 usually) and for a mouse, either a logitech g5/g7 or razer copperhead

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks I found those two brands but not the specific models you mentioned. Next paycheck I'll be sure to order those up. The backlight setup looks awesome. Thanks much!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

the backlight on the saitek is amazing. it has 3 colors on teh backlight that you can change. and which ones wern't you able to find? i'll try and track some down for you
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

How much time are you going to spend typing? if your going to spend alot of time typing get yourself a IBM model M keyboard it's old (was made for 20 or so years) make sure you get one in PS/2 if you decide to get a model M as it was made in both AT an PS/2 connections if you need a USB adapter they are going very cheaply at the moment.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Razer Mice/Trackballs - PriceGrabber.com

The Diamondback is the oldest model listed, and is the cheapest.

The Krait is like the Diamondback/Copperhead without the side buttons.

The Pro Solutions is basically a white Death Adder.

The Death Adder is actually cheaper than the Copperhead, which surprised me. The Copperhead is the older of the two.

The Lachesis sits at the end of the list, as it is the latest version and still rather expensive.

The ones listed out of sequence have a used/refurb in the listing, but the rest are the same price as the other listings of the same kind.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
the backlight on the saitek is amazing. it has 3 colors on teh backlight that you can change. and which ones wern't you able to find? i'll try and track some down for you
I have a Saitek II keyboard. Nice lights and good to type with.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
Oh I meant prior to you telling me! I searched and found those brands before but once you told me the models, I searched and found them. Like I said, next paycheck they will be ordered. I will spend a fair amount of time typing emails and so forth but any word processing will most likely happen on my laptop.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

g9 is the mouse i have and a g15 keyboard, both made by logitech. Expensive but well worth it if you game
Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

My Logitech MX518 hasn't never let me down while in or out of my games; it's a great mouse. The G5 looks solid as well. Logitech make great products.

Closed Thread