*HELP* PCMCIA CardSlot USB *HELP* - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2005, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default I need a PCMCIA USB Expansion.. HELP!

I work with a photo Kiosk - I wanted to try and expand its capability and allow customers to use their relevent USB devices - Flash Drives and Direct Camera connections to print pictures... So, I got a PCMICA USB 2.0 device. It was designed for notebooks - but since the Photo Kiosk has a big ol' PCMCIA right there in the front, I figured it would work. And - of course, it did not.

I asked all the retards at Best Buy and Circuit City. They didn't know what was going on at all. I wasn't really in the mood to drive out to Fry's Electronics. I've been looking online - but keep seeing the same type of thing.

Questions :

1. Do I have to have a pre-existing USB(1.1 most likely) in order to use the 2.0 PCMCIA expansion?

2. If not - Would I most likely need an external power hookup?
The 5V 500ma AC/DC thing I keep seeing?

3. Can you recommend any hardware that I could look at?

I just really need a device that can add USB capability without using a PCI slot - as the Kiosk's software won't reconinze it, so the only way to trick it is to put a device through the PCMCIA and make it think its just another memory card.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ugh, I need help!

Old 07-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

May want to contact Kiosk about this then, they might have some recommendations for you.
If all you can see is Darkness Within the Light, You are blind to this world.
Closed Thread