Help! New IBM HDD is Stalling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OIDanTheManIO

Fully Optimized
OK, here is my problem. Every 5-10 minutes, my new IBM DeskStar 80GB hard drive will make a noise like *ch ch ch ch...tick tock...ch ch ch ch...tick tock...ch ch ch ch...tick tock...ch ch ch ch...tick tock...* And everytime it makes this noise, my computer will freeze completely except for the mouse movement until the hard drive stops making those noices. A fix for this would be great if possible. Thanks.

-Dan The Man

I have a smillar problem only mine is to the point I can't use the HDD. Its probably a physical problem so you probably need a new HDD. Sorry bout that.

Ahh, it's OK, it was free anyway. I will just stick with my old Maxtor Hard Drive. What could have caused the damage to the disk drive?

Maybe you bumped into it while it was running, or tilted your case? Sometimes this can cause the needle to jump and scratch your hard drive. Just a thought...

What are your computer specs and power supply rating? My Maxtor drive used to do that because of my P/S. So I bought a new P/S and it's fine now. So check your P/S.

theres also the posibility that it could be a faulty power connector.

i have this old compaq still layin around... it started doing what u said. so i eventually tryed switching the cables. and it stoped doing it after i swapped the molex power connector with the one from the CD-rom.

if switching cables and stuff doesnt work. scan it and see if you come put with any errors.

Yea, it's dieing.....backup all your important files and put them on a new harddrive and set that one aside or something........as for me, i like taking a sludge hammer to old hard drives. :)

Most Hitachi hard drives come with a 1 year warranty.......if it's still under warranty, then send it back and they'll give you a new one....it should have a date on the harddrive of when it was made.

Spartan 1394 said:
What are your computer specs and power supply rating? My Maxtor drive used to do that because of my P/S. So I bought a new P/S and it's fine now. So check your P/S.

Those are all good suggestions, especially yours Frans! HAHA! My power supply is 550W.

-Dan The Man

Those are all good suggestions, especially yours Frans! HAHA! My power supply is 550W.
In that case, like other people have said, your drive is probably going to die soon. It would be best to start backing up your files now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom