Help needed. Building my first computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmicx

Beta member
It is my first time trying to build a computer and I don't know what parts I need..
I think I will spend about 1500-1600.. and it will probably used for gaming.
If you could list the parts that will equal to be about 1500-1600 that will be great..
for case I was thinking about p160 or superlanboy..
Memory card.. probably corsair value select..
Power supply.. antec true 550 or enermax 600
hard drive.. I really don't know.. I need at least more than 80gig.. don't need 2nd hard drive.
Sound card... no idea
Video card.. Geforce 6800ultra or X800 XT
mother board.. thinking to get one of the asus product but don't know which one.
Cpu... don't know what should i get.. was thinking about 3700+
speakers.. no idea..
Cd rom / Dvd Rom ... No idea..
network card.. no idea..
If there is anything else I need please tell me.. and if there is other stuff that you recommend.. please tell me that also. I probably won't buy parts until few month later.

The stuff I listed here might be over 1500-1600 .. if u can adjust this.. thank you..

Don't get an ASUS board for the love of god...get an Abit AV8-3rd eye or MSI Neo2-Platinum....just make sure you get socket 939 and that 3700+ will be perfect. You really won't need a soundcard with either of those boards....get the eVGA 6800GT and overclock it to ultra speeds. it'll require a lot less power and heat...plus eVGA puts the same heavy duty heatsink on ALL the cards so you'll get the 6800GT with the Ultras heatsink so it'll be easy to overclock it via softmod...

You won't need a network card...the MSI Neo2-Platinum has 2 onboard lan cards...

Get a Thermaltake 560w PSU or Ultra 500w Modular Connection PSU, both are good brands, with good rails and will provide enough power for your needs. If you're going to build that system don't get value select RAM....might as well hold out for XMS...trust me I went with kingstong value and I'm sending it back this week cause it just got fried so now I'm going to hold out for some XMS...you don't have to get the absolute highest performance EXTRA LOW LATENCY crap just get the 2-3-3-6 (1T) timing XMS series of Corsair for $220 from newegg....

As far as speakers I have no clue..

And as far as recommendations go for a cd-rom or dvd-rom or burner or whatever you want I also don't know. I have sony myself and they have never let me down, but I haven't like read up on them like I have the other hardware I suggested.

a 74gb SATA 10,000 RPM Drive is $170 but windows loading times, game loading, copying files, that sort of thing is insanely fast...otherwise a normal IDE 7200 RPM 80gb HD is like $60 and I'd go with the Western Digital HD's as they have been around for a while and make great HD's......$100 and you could probably have a 160 or 200gb HD almost.

Definitely go for anything other then asus for mobos. Asus is having trouble making mobos for S939s. I would definitely recommend the Gigabyte one but it's like 50+ dollars then other ones. If you have the extra cash, for that that big boi, other then that go for msi. Oh yeah, definitely get a S939 athlon 64 cpu. 3700+, 3800+, 3500+ anything you want.

Just like nubius said, definitely get the 200 dollar more cheaper 6800GT and get a better speed then 6800ULTRA with not much risk. IT'S 200 DOLLARS CHEAPER. and btw. it's pretty hard to get 6800 ultras or x800 xt pe.

sound card. hmm.. if you're really sensitive to sound and sound quality, get some audigy sound card. But if all you care is hearing sound coming out of the computer, just use the onboard soundcard on your motherboard.

Definitely XMS corsair. it's well worth it.

I think the gigabyte boards don't support the extra low latencies introduced between the RAM and CPU's though. That's why I say stick with ABit or MSI both are good stable companies and both boards have more than adequate BIOS options.

I think the gigabyte boards don't support the extra low latencies introduced between the RAM and CPU's though

Hmm. it doesn't? I never looked deep in to that. I don't really know deep in to ram or motherboards:eek:

I happen to like my Asus A8V! :p

Even though im planning on buying a new mobo with PCI-E soon as i get the money for a new video card and mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom